Why Domain Name Privacy is Important?

Obosh

Dec 8, 2011

Brothers,

While registering domain name I found some registrars offer Domain Privacy. And I understood it will hide my Whois information.
But I don’t understand why do I need to hide my Domain Whois info?
Or is there any other advantages or disadvantages of hiding Domain Whois?

Sorry if I asked a dumb question here.

Regards.

That’s not a dumb question as a lot of people here are in learning phase too including me. In my opinion, it’s all depends on what you are going to use your domain for. It is recommended if you want to protect your privacy. It is not recommended for your company or sales page because your users might find it fishy. You can control with what’s on your Whois page.

It helps protect your privacy I for one don't want every tom dick and harry having my home address email and phone number.

you should be aware that it is an ICANN requirement for the OWNER to publish their details on whois.

When you use whois protection you effectively give ownership of the domain over to the registrar. So they put their info down and act as a proxy and relay information to you.

So any small fuckup like copyrighted stuff and they'll get on your case super fast, they will not tolerate too many complaints (because they are the owner and their ass is in the line)

Use whois guard carefully, if you're doing blog network stuff that link to each other you may weant to hide, but if you have a respectable money site it might be worth investing in a PO Box mailbox and publishing your whois.

At least when someone has a complain against you they will not go to your registrar and come directly to you.

I allway hide my name on the internet. To many people wats to hurt you and if they find your name... who knows.

You NEED it to hide your identity, especially if you do somethings that might piss people off.
It's also pretty useful for SEO. If you point one of your sites to another for a back link, Google will know you own both domains. They will not rank you higher because of it.

I never understood it either until the day came when the strangest looking mother fucker knocked on my door and asked if he could buy something from "the store" instead of ordering from the website...

Brothers,

While registering domain name I found some registrars offer Domain Privacy. And I understood it will hide my Whois information.
But I don’t understand why do I need to hide my Domain Whois info?
Or is there any other advantages or disadvantages of hiding Domain Whois?

Sorry if I asked a dumb question here.

Regards.
For The Sake Of Privacy And If All The Information Is Available That Is All The Contact Information Is Available To Public Then There Is Chance Of Mis Using Of The Contact Details So Always Prefer To Hide Who Is Info For Your Domains .

very true. Spammers, Information Resellers, etc are all on-line now. Pretty ridiculous

Despite the risks, it seems like a better option to use the domain privacy. Having your real name, address, email, etc, right out there for anyone to find is a dangerous proposition on the Internet.

Question: So when you buy aged domains. You buy and register under a fake name so G doesn't see the footprint right?

Is there a thread on this method at WF I can't find any how to's..

Thanks

WJ

Because a lot of services like DomainTools index whois information, meaning that the domains you own will come up when someone google's your name. At least that's my main motivating factor, since a lot of the domains I used to own were adult.

I recommend a post office box for your online business. This way people won't automatically have your street address. Doing business under another name helps, too.

It's a newbie mistake to just freely give out your personal details when filling that info in. If you do end up doing that, your info will be archived in Google for many years to come.

Has there ever been a real effort to get this ICANN requirement changed? I can see the purpose of having your contact information on file. Having it published on the internet is a completely different situation. Privacy policies seem to protect everybody but webmasters.

you do not have to hide it. say you can just use different names published on your different domains. for example godaddy allows you to publish different contact info on your domains even thought it is different from your account info with them