Why does no one buy tv spots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTP32

Jan 15, 2009
I would think a berry offer or a similar "free trial offer" would do very well on a late night tv spot. Is there a reason why, no one is really doing this? The only offer i see that is similar to a free trial offer is the video professor guy, and im not even sure how his billing system works because he doesnt state any terms on the commercial, just that you have to pay shipping.

I would think a berry offer or a similar "free trial offer" would do very well on a late night tv spot. Is there a reason why, no one is really doing this? The only offer i see that is similar to a free trial offer is the video professor guy, and im not even sure how his billing system works because he doesnt state any terms on the commercial, just that you have to pay shipping.

Who said we don't? I run local TV and ads in markets that are dirt cheap. 30 second commercial is $3 in LOTS of tiny markets and you get 3000+ people viewing the ad... $1 CPM if you buy it right.

It's true, I see a lot of commercials at night. But people are too damn sleepy to remember your web address to buy your product.

It's true, I see a lot of commercials at night. But people are too damn sleepy to remember your web address to buy your product.

That or they are so bored they go look it up right away instead of watching macgyver re-runs ;)

Who said we don't? I run local TV and ads in markets that are dirt cheap. 30 second commercial is $3 in LOTS of tiny markets and you get 3000+ people viewing the ad... $1 CPM if you buy it right.

yea but even at those rates the conversion rates must be minuscule?

Well since you divulged this much... what percentage of people converted? :p

ive been thinking about trying some audio ads. Ive heard people are getting decent results with them. They only cost about $300-400 to get one made.
Not sure what the cpm rates are, but theyve gotta be less the tv spots.

The reason is pretty much a higher barrier to entry - To make a good looking tv ad, even with stock footage from Google's service, you still need to make things look professional, and you probably need someone to do a voiceover and then put it together. Not to say that it won't be profitable, but it's just outside most affiliates' comfort zones in terms of advertising and setup steps needed.

Google used to have a program set up that allowed you to advertise on networks all across the country... Not sure if it's still around, but I once knew a guy that made a killing from using it.

Edit: TV Ads - AdWords - Google

Being outside of the US removes that option. However, I think looking at some local markets might be a good idea after Wolfe's post.

Funny this topic came up...I heard an adv. for a "weight loss" colon cleanse today.

Coming from an audio backround, I can tell you that it is tough to get people to remember a URL long enough to get to a computer unless its a recognized name or a real easy to remember domain. At least with TV you can pound a visual into the brain. That tends to "stick" a lil better. High impact DJ Sweeper style commercials could work... something like this HypeImagaing - intro

Google used to have a program set up that allowed you to advertise on networks all across the country... Not sure if it's still around, but I once knew a guy that made a killing from using it.

Edit: TV Ads - AdWords - Google

When I first clicked that link I thoght it was some kind of april fools joke like the adsense for conversations, but apparently it's real :D

We’ve had a partner that has had some luck with ethnic dish network stations. But the key is targeting your audience. It would be interesting to hear what people tried like:

Late night TV. Some offers like sleep aids to dating offers

Day time TV seems to push career / get cash type offers.

You can freelance the video production for a couple hundred bucks. But you do need someone that can make it professional vs. a cheesy stock photo slide show.

Hello friend,

I suspect it because people no can steal commercial of television like can steal landing page.

Good luck bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.