Why do forum profile links...

noonesland

Jan 19, 2010
I notice a lot of sites using profile links to rank, why do they rank so well? Even when they are from sites not related? Can some one fill me in here.

It's not so much that they rank really well, but because tools like Xrumer (which people offer entire link-building services around) are based heavily on blasting forum profile links in large quantities.

thanks for the quick reply..but im just surprised they can rank off of one techinque such as profiles, I thought you needed to mix up your strategies to rank.

I notice a lot of sites using profile links to rank, why do they rank so well? Even when they are from sites not related? Can some one fill me in here.

The reason they rank so well is become they are coming from different c class ip's.

The more different ip's linking to you, then the higher your authority in the search engines eyes.

Also, they are from "high quality" authority sites. Relevance is not always essential in your backlinking strategy. Profile links work very well, but be sure to add some relevant text around the link if it is possible within that platform.

Orkhan Azer

I have done profile link building for many clients. It is being treated one of the best one way backlink and essential part of seo technique. Relevant link not necessarily to get any keyword ranking, yes google give weightage for relevant backlinks

You need four things to rank well...

1: Volume
2: Authority
3: Velocity
4: Anchor Text

Xrumer and profile links solve the first and third because you get lots of links quickly. Velocity isn't such a big player, but authority is still a big player. Sometimes if you're in a low competition market you can rank based on sheer volume. Most of the time though, it is best when you implement some good authority backlinks too.

Not true, link from CNN.com are waaaay more higher in everything like authority, rank, etc. than some BS link from fresh WP blog.

> Not true, link from CNN.com are waaaay more higher

WiredNiko was being sarcastic.
Although to be fair, I think clyde was refering to the different types of
backlinks being the same (ie. comments vs profiles vs body), rather
than to the authority of the sites the links are on.

The way you build backlinks, aka forum profile links/posts compared to embedded in code/other locations and places do affect the weight of the backlink, but the thing with people just putting out nothing but those profile links is because as said, people are blasting ridiculous amounts of volume. Many won't count or get removed, but with thousands or tends of thousands it makes an impact. Other methods should be used too, but if you have a way to do that volume, it will do something for you.

> Not true, link from CNN.com are waaaay more higher

WiredNiko was being sarcastic.
Although to be fair, I think clyde was refering to the different types of
backlinks being the same (ie. comments vs profiles vs body), rather
than to the authority of the sites the links are on.

Exactly, you read me like a book.