Who's smart?

RayHanz14

Jan 8, 2010
Philly
I just uploaded my lander's files to my server and I'm running into two problems:

#1. When I bring up my page @ xxxxxx.com it just brings up the "Index of" page with the file directory listing. I need to type in "index.html" at the end to bring up my landing page.

How can I have it so xxxxxx.com loads my "index.html" without having to type "index.html" after my domain name?

#2. I also can't get my images to load on my lander after I uploaded them to my server. When I edit them on my hard drive everything displays fine. I uploaded the entire folder from my hard drive to server without changing any folder structure.

Ideas?

- Ray

Are you on a Linux server? If so, it sounds like both problems could be related to the case of your file names. Is your index file named "index.html" or something like "Index.html?" If you have any capital letters, this kind of problem can occur.

It could also explain why the images aren't displaying. If you went from viewing the site locally on a Windows machine and then uploaded to Linux, the images might not display if the filenames and URLs in your code don't match exactly in terms of capitalization.

There could also be a problem in your .htaccess or the server's httpd.conf file, but that would be unusual, since index.html is set as a directory index by default on most servers.

Without actually seeing the site and code this is about all I can think of.

Are you on a Linux server? If so, it sounds like both problems could be related to the case of your file names. Is your index file named "index.html" or something like "Index.html?" If you have any capital letters, this kind of problem can occur.

It could also explain why the images aren't displaying. If you went from viewing the site locally on a Windows machine and then uploaded to Linux, the images might not display if the filenames and URLs in your code don't match exactly in terms of capitalization.

There could also be a problem in your .htaccess or the server's httpd.conf file, but that would be unusual, since index.html is set as a directory index by default on most servers.

Without actually seeing the site and code this is about all I can think of.

I'm using HostGator.

I'm using HostGator.

I use HostGator too and their servers are Linux. They should be set up correctly for using index.html as the directory index. Do you have an existing .htaccess in your site's root folder? If so, have you checked the contents to see if there are any rewrites, etc. that might cause the problem with your index file?

I just thought of another possible cause of the images not displaying. Do you have references to folders on your local computer? I mean something like 'C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Desktop\images\header.jpg?' If so, you would need to update the path to reflect the path on the server. I saw this exact problem a lot back when I did tech support for a hosting company.

I use HostGator too and their servers are Linux. They should be set up correctly for using index.html as the directory index. Do you have an existing .htaccess in your site's root folder? If so, have you checked the contents to see if there are any rewrites, etc. that might cause the problem with your index file?

I just thought of another possible cause of the images not displaying. Do you have references to folders on your local computer? I mean something like 'C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Desktop\images\header.jpg?' If so, you would need to update the path to reflect the path on the server. I saw this exact problem a lot back when I did tech support for a hosting company.

The issue was because my primary domain is setup for Wordpress and my add-on domain is not the "htaccess" file was coding it incorrectly.

Thanks for your help.

- Ray