Which resolution do you design for?

Which resolution should websites be designed for?

• Always design for 800x600

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Designing for 1024x768 is ok, but keep it at least usable at 800x600

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Screw old farts who still browse at 800x600 and only design for 1024x768 or higher.

Votes: 19 61.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrassIsBlue

Oct 23, 2007
Hollandistan
I have always designed such that websites would be as usable at 800x600 as at 1024x768.

I am now considering designing for 1024, while still keeping websites ususable at 800x600 but sacrificing some comfort at this lower resolution. It gives quite a bit more horizontal space, allowing the design to be less cramped. :frenchman:

Good idea or should websites still be designed for 800x600?

If somebody today is stuck at 800x600, then if you site is the right size, any slightly advanced content will grind the computer to a halt.

Unless the side scales dynamically, the 800x600 shit is going to look ackward at higher resolutions.

HH

Unless the side scales dynamically, the 800x600 shit is going to look ackward at higher resolutions.

Yeah, I have a 24" Imac and I noticed this. I'd really like to just forget about those low resolutions, not sure how many people still use them. And more importantly: would a site make more money when it is designed for higher resolutions.

Maybe I should just try it with A/B testing.

I think it depends on the target audience. For crappy MFA sites that tend to attract inexperienced / light internet users, 800x600 is likely going to be prevalent enough to design around. For an internet marketing blog that caters to more advanced / experienced internet users, designing for 800x600 would be a waste of space.

I meant to vote screw 800x600.

at least 1024 or go with a fluid design.

What has been the default screen resolution on new PCs for some time now?

I always design for 1024x768, but if I can, I will make the content less than 800 pixels wide so the user doesn't have to scroll horizontally to read it. People still using 800x600 are probably used to most sites being too big for their screen- so fuck them.

it depends on the target audience, if you're doing a design or marketing blog you can design it for resolutions higher than 1024, if you're selling something to people that use the pc occasionally then you should probably still consider 800x600

I design for 1024x768. I saw survey about resolutions not too long ago... the vast majority of folks are 1024+.

I must say I am surprised by how accepted it apparently is to design for 1024x768. I am just going to try it and see what effect it has on my earnings.

Thanks all.

Check your logs and see what the majority of your visitors use.

Check your logs and see what the majority of your visitors use.
I agree with Ajay here. I found that an absolute tiny percentage of all users on my main site were actually still using 800x600.

I'm a web designer by day and hardly bother anymore with 800x600 compliance unless a client specifically requests it in their spec. If it's something you still want to cover you can always make a flexible design which has max-width for IE7 and Firefox and then just use a fixed width * html hack for IE6.

Status
Not open for further replies.