When Do You Drop A Site?

wiredniko

Jedi in training
Jul 20, 2010
New York
I always think big, which is both good and bad.

I have created a pretty pimp site that I have been able to grow extremely fast. The problem is its a news based site. Which means I have to stay as current as possible. Having a full time job that frequently takes 9-10 hours of my time makes it very hard to keep up.

To give you an idea based on my RSS feeds alone there are about 400 updates I need to read and update weekly. On non busy days I don't mind, but on a month like this where I am dealing with a $3M project at work it totally blows.

The site is only three months old, about 250 pages, average page has about 1000-2000 words. I have not even had time to monetize it yet or build any true links, just did some manual link building since I have to read a lot about my niche.

I keep asking myself did I make a mistake? I truly believe this site has a lot of potential. If I judge by my competitors they are both really big, well known corporations. However I do not have enough time to keep up.

My options are
1. Sell a site with a lot of unrealized potential
2. Shelf it and revisit later (when I quit my job)
3. Do less updates
4. Stop whining and keep working hard while trying to find ways to automate things

Thoughts?

First thing comes to mind is outsourcing the content creation.

Then this

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvCewSp-mkU]QUACK! Chocoball Japan commercial - YouTube[/ame]

Bumping once since I made the thread late at night.

Even if you can't answer my question specifically, when do you guys generally drop a site?

It has been said before...

a) monetize it - is it WORTH your time?

if a -

b) outsource the manual work

::emp::

50 visits a day isn't a whole lot - even in big money verticals.

That said, if you think it has potential then keep busting ass. One of two things will happen; you'll end up with an insanely profitable site OR you'll make a whole bunch of mistakes, learn from them and then come up with a better idea/niche.

People have a lot more 'free' time than they realize. I bet you've already wasted 30 minutes on writing this thread, bumping it and waiting for responses. I also bet you watch a boatload of TV/sleep more than you need to.

50 visits a day isn't a whole lot - even in big money verticals.

That said, if you think it has potential then keep busting ass. One of two things will happen; you'll end up with an insanely profitable site OR you'll make a whole bunch of mistakes, learn from them and then come up with a better idea/niche.

People have a lot more 'free' time than they realize. I bet you've already wasted 30 minutes on writing this thread, bumping it and waiting for responses. I also bet you watch a boatload of TV/sleep more than you need to.

I don't watch TV actually, but I know what you are trying to say.

I find it interesting that my visitor growth is not considered good. Kind of puts things into perspective.

Btw I think people hit the nail on the head. I will try to monetize and see how it goes, otherwise I am just treading water like a dork.

My options are
1. Sell a site with a lot of unrealized potential
2. Shelf it and revisit later (when I quit my job)
3. Do less updates
4. Stop whining and keep working hard while trying to find ways to automate things

Thoughts?

EDIT: What Emp said...

My experience, news site dont fetch good income, especially with traffic that low. If you said its only three months old, dump it

try evergreen niche so when you bored you can just leave it and comeback after a while

Go to Google analytics and look at the trends, if the traffic is growing at a steady pace and has not faltered then don't sell but if the site has been steadly losing traffic for a month consistently then its time.