What's your view on .tv ??

What do you think of the .TV domain extension?

• It is great, lot's of potential for making $$

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Could be worth a small, high risk/reward investment

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Worthless extension, I hate all those country codes!

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • What the hell is .tv ??!

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

all-in

Domain Guru
Feb 26, 2009
Colorado
I am wondering what you think about this domain name extension?? .TV is a ccTLD, representing the small island country of Tuvalu. The .tv registry has recognized the potential this extension has simply because of the letters "TV". and allow anyone to register .tv domains.

I have been able to observe a whole group of domainers flock to this extension over the years. There are quite a few hard core .tv domainers and developers. I have watched few make serious money and I watch many every day toss money down the drain.

The fucked up thing about this extension and the .tv registry is that is run exclusively by enom.com (Demand Media). These guys base the registration price of a domain on their perception of it's value. So, a premium domain like Flowers.tv or geos Denver.tv, and even many two words like GolfClubs.tv carry a hefty registration fee sometimes as high as $xx,xxx/yr for the best ones. On average a premium like ones mentioned above will be around $500+/yr. Oh ya, I forgot to mention - say you land a nice .tv and it premium renewal fee is only $40/yr, all the sudden you login and you see your renewal rate is now $250/yr! Yes Demand Media can raise the renewal fees of your premium .tv domains at their discretion.

Besides a possible premium renewal fee, even the normal registration fees are a bit high. I haven't tried to reg one in a while but I think $17 is about the lowest. I cringe when I see large portfolios full of worthless hand registered .tvs.

There seems to be something strangely intruguing about .tv though. I see some random surprising sales (reseller and aftermarket), occasionally I am baffled when I see a large company with a .tv homepage and the .tv die hards are still full of optimism. I currently have no .tv's in my portfolio, but may acquire one within the next week that I intend to flip to the .tv die hards before I have to renew..

I would never buy anything other than .com

It looks very cheap/tacky to me when I see a .tv, and for someone trying to brand it, it will always leak some traffic to the .com

I agree with you satoshi that I would never have MY homepage on a .com. However, there are too many people that don't think like we do and are sold on a .tv domain quite easily.

I voted for the second choice in my own poll..

I agree with you satoshi that I would never have MY homepage on a .com. However, there are too many people that don't think like we do and are sold on a .tv domain quite easily.

I voted for the second choice in my own poll..

Buying for resale, sure. I would never sign up for a free trial of acai either, though :)

I agree with you satoshi that I would never have MY homepage on anything BUT a .com. However, there are too many people that don't think like we do and are sold on a .tv domain quite easily.
This is what I meant to say! :food-smiley-010:

And yes, satoshi I buy some .tv for resale only. Although if I found the right development purpose, I may think about developing one or two of them.

I'd rather buy an expensive com/org/net etc. than have to deal with a high-priced yearly renewal that could increase at any time.

Nice to see the poll is staying active. Since I started this thread I have grabbed a pair of one word .tv domains at auction for $1. I am pretty happy with both of them and I have over 6 months before either expire. Being a domainer, I of course will try to resell them before they expire. Being one word domains they naturally have targetted end user possibilities. It's most likely end users won't bite but there is that chance they will. Before these two .tv's expire it should be easy to resell these for at least $2-$5 ea in better place auctions if I leave enough registration time on them.

Nice to see the poll is staying active. Since I started this thread I have grabbed a pair of one word .tv domains at auction for $1. I am pretty happy with both of them and I have over 6 months before either expire. Being a domainer, I of course will try to resell them before they expire. Being one word domains they naturally have targetted end user possibilities. It's most likely end users won't bite but there is that chance they will. Before these two .tv's expire it should be easy to resell these for at least $2-$5 ea in better place auctions if I leave enough registration time on them.

not bad at $1/piece with a few months left

That is exactly why .tv will never even reach 10% of .coms

i recently sold some 3 letter words for close to 1k. Honestly i didnt think they would even sell for 200.. but this guy was crying on the phone to have me sell him the domains. :)
That only happens in the .com, .net(with traffic) or .org(which i would prefer to .net) world.
.Tv was just rosenblatts greedy ass trying to capitalize on the fact that he was late to the domain rush after fucking up that myspace guy lol.

Those crazy price hikes are the main reason .tv will never ever ever go anywhere.
I beleive left and right there is a shitstorm brewing about the tlds that are going to be introduced next year.
THe tlds i would love to see introduced.... waiiiit for it.. .xxx
Anyone who wins the bid on that tld is going to have a mint rolling in cash nonstop.
Add - sry didnt mean to just band around everywhere.
.tv sucks.

I am wondering what you think about this domain name extension?? .TV is a ccTLD, representing the small island country of Tuvalu. The .tv registry has recognized the potential this extension has simply because of the letters "TV". and allow anyone to register .tv domains.

I have been able to observe a whole group of domainers flock to this extension over the years. There are quite a few hard core .tv domainers and developers. I have watched few make serious money and I watch many every day toss money down the drain.

The fucked up thing about this extension and the .tv registry is that is run exclusively by enom.com (Demand Media). These guys base the registration price of a domain on their perception of it's value. So, a premium domain like Flowers.tv or geos Denver.tv, and even many two words like GolfClubs.tv carry a hefty registration fee sometimes as high as $xx,xxx/yr for the best ones. On average a premium like ones mentioned above will be around $500+/yr. Oh ya, I forgot to mention - say you land a nice .tv and it premium renewal fee is only $40/yr, all the sudden you login and you see your renewal rate is now $250/yr! Yes Demand Media can raise the renewal fees of your premium .tv domains at their discretion.

Besides a possible premium renewal fee, even the normal registration fees are a bit high. I haven't tried to reg one in a while but I think $17 is about the lowest. I cringe when I see large portfolios full of worthless hand registered .tvs.

There seems to be something strangely intruguing about .tv though. I see some random surprising sales (reseller and aftermarket), occasionally I am baffled when I see a large company with a .tv homepage and the .tv die hards are still full of optimism. I currently have no .tv's in my portfolio, but may acquire one within the next week that I intend to flip to the .tv die hards before I have to renew..

i recently sold some 3 letter words for close to 1k. Honestly i didnt think they would even sell for 200.. but this guy was crying on the phone to have me sell him the domains. :)
OMG, you sold a 3 letter word for less than $1k? Please tell me they were not .net or .coms. Only a LLL .org word or lesser extensions would ever sell that low!! The guy who bought them from you was not crying he was so ecstatic his act was working!

I beleive left and right there is a shitstorm brewing about the tlds that are going to be introduced next year.
THe tlds i would love to see introduced.... waiiiit for it.. .xxx
Well, those tlds are going to be a bust, I predict perhaps a dozen of them will ever really be used, developed and have stand alone sites created on them. To create an extension you must first put down a six figure sum just for the application fee. Then if you find you have won the right to create that extension a company will need not only a staff, a fully developed and secure website, server, etc... Basically it will cost probably around $500K to create that vanity extension. Do you see many businesses running to invest a shitload of time and money in a very risky tld. I think these are so stupid anyway. Like we need more fucking lame extensions. I support ccTLDs (country code top level domains) but to open up registry for something stupid like shopping.walmart, shoes.nike, or Letsrapestupidwebentrepreneurs.xxx is a total waste.

I used to work for a .tv

We had to use .com redirects because no one had ever heard of the .tv domain extension; users were confused.

After doing a little research I found out the .tv domains are generally used for sites with a lot of media (movies, pics, etc.). I think that the market for them is pretty small now, but as video becomes an increasing advertising outlet, the .tv domains will be selling like hotcakes. Get 'em while they last!

Good info blitz..

Seems like developing a .tv domain into a video portal to promote a product or service would be a nice addition to any website/web portfolio. I have flipped my first two .tv purchases for some quick profit. I also picked up the domain FlightInstructor/tv and have already had one unsolicited inquiry on it. I want to put a minisite with videos on it but if the potential buyer is interested enough I'll sell especially since I am cheap and don't want to cough up $40 for the renewal (even though this one is worth renewing).

I am not completely upto date on the whole reason why godaddy wants to smear this shit around. The extension isn't going anywhere.. Verisigns contract with .tv and Tuvalu is up really soon and there will be no doubt it's in Tuvalu's best interest to keep the domain extension alive despite if their island country is underwater or not..

update: I have no more .tvs in my portfolio, all have been sold. Overall, my first round of .tv purchases did pretty well. I invested less than $15 picking up 5 .tv domains. All five were expiring within the next 6 months and had standard renewal costs. Overall sales for all 5 totaled $186. All were bought and resold on domain forums, one at ebay.

I use one for an adult site (it's just a domain that redirects to a merchant and I promote it with online videos) and it seems to bring extra traffic because people associate tv with videos. I have another .com domain that redirects to the same site and it gets less traffic.

i just read many of the posts .. some condradictory ..some to +ve side...
well if you have the right domain then developing it with .tv extension is the right choice... i had a .com domain and its .tv was getting built... so the owners bought the .com from me..

Status
Not open for further replies.