What you should know about VPS accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Payton

Affiliate Padawan
Jun 24, 2006
VPS accounts have gained in popularity recently and more and more people are jumping on the VPS bandwagon. What makes them attractive is that they're usually advertised as sort of a budget dedicated server.

In many ways that's true, in both good and bad ways.

Good
-You have more control over the server, many times you'll have choice of OS, control panel, you can install almost anything you want (IRC, torrents, and proxies are notable expceptions for many hosts).
-Guaranteed resources (you will prob need min 256mb if you want cpanel)
-Limited number of other customers on the same node (cuts down on the potential for abuse)
-Many times the hardware is better as beefy hardware is required to run a VPS server

Bad
-You are responsible for your account just like a dedicated box (you can pay more for managed services, some hosts like JaguarPC offer managed VPS for a relatively cheap price)
-Resources may actually be fewer and more expensive than shared or reseller hosting
-Requires some technical know-how to mange your account

I think a lot of people don't know what they're getting into when they choose a VPS as seen by many of the inane questions thrown around on other forums. Oftentimes they could be better served by finding a good shared or reseller hosting rather than going the VPS route.

I host about 40 domains atm, and have always used a reseller account. It did take a while to find the right folks to work with, but it seems to be the easiest route for me and my current requirements.

For seo purpose it would be interesting to go with vps instead of shared hosting, with shared hosting the websites are hosted with for instance 5000 website on one server. It's a good step between shared and dedicated hosting. But I've to agree with you Payton, a lot of people don't know what they are getting them selfs into.

Btw, powervps.com seems to be a good vps provider.

Status
Not open for further replies.