What to Automate?

Hav3n

Mar 19, 2010
GA
Ok, stupid noob question here.

I think i just don't realize the power of the tools that are out there.

I don't have Ubot and I've only just started playing with iMacros....

But i am having trouble finding things to automate?

NB: I don't have a content site yet so i don't need to scrape. Is this what most of yall are using automation for?

Just sorta wondering what the hype is about

((be gentle))

I scrape this forum and then post it to DP and WaFo. I then scrape all download shares across a multitude of blogs and forums and then post them to BHW to get rep and thanks.

I scrape this forum and then post it to DP and WaFo. I then scrape all download shares across a multitude of blogs and forums and then post them to BHW to get rep and thanks.

This is funny

If you don't know what to scrape, start off by scraping things that won't hurt anything. IE scrape your SERP positions every day, you'll save yourself some time and learn some shit.

I use ubot to make little bots that do things like approving all the comments in my wordpress site, upgrading plugins or sending multiple emails from a variety of accounts in my cpanel.

I found an enjoyable way for me to learn ubot was to write bots that entered online contests - the sort of contest that runs on a daily basis. I would spend time getting to know ubot and writing the bot to carry out the contest entry process, then it would only take one click to enter that contest everyday in the future.

I'm sure there are people out there making much more productive bots but this is a starting point if you don't know what to automate.

At first, it's hard to think of things because you have already trained yourself to do repetitive tasks without thinking too much about them.

You probably log in to places to check email, stats, etc. If you're into wordpress or other CMS, there's probably at least 5 or 6 things you do every time you set up a new one. Look at things like that.

Everything.

For instance a couple months ago I wrote a bot to do Calculus homework (Wolfram Alpha ftw). Anytime you're doing work and you think "well this is boring/mundane/tedious" you can probably automate it.

I use ubot to make little bots that do things like approving all the comments in my wordpress site, upgrading plugins or sending multiple emails from a variety of accounts in my cpanel.

I found an enjoyable way for me to learn ubot was to write bots that entered online contests - the sort of contest that runs on a daily basis. I would spend time getting to know ubot and writing the bot to carry out the contest entry process, then it would only take one click to enter that contest everyday in the future.

I'm sure there are people out there making much more productive bots but this is a starting point if you don't know what to automate.

That's exactly how I learned ubot too. I called them fun bots.

This is a good tip with anything you're learning always start of with something just for fun with no harm done if you completely screw it up. That way you learn, you have fun, and there's no pressure.

You wrote a bot that did fucking calculus?

No, I used Wolfram Alpha to do the calculus for me.

Although a bot that actually did the Calculus (basic calc 1 or calc 2) probably wouldn't be that hard. Nearly all of calculus is just a bunch of rules, and rules are pretty easy to code.

For integration just have a bot that tries every calc method (u-substitution, integration by parts, partial fraction decomposition, etc.) and then have it continue recursively if it needs to be integrated multiple times.