What the hell - 550 permission denied on random directory

RockDiesel

Nov 29, 2007
I was using the Global Translator plugin on a wordpress site of mine, but decided it wasn't worth and deactivated it.

Leftover from the plugin was the "gt-cache" folder which is where it caches all the posts in different languages. Since I'm not using the plugin anymore I wanted to delete this folder because it is just taking up space on my server.

Problem is that when I go to delete it I get 550 permission denied errors on the whole directory. However, it is just THIS directory. I have full privileges through ftp and never ran into this problem before. I've deleted anything and everything on this server, but all of sudden I don't have access to this one directory and can't delete it.

How did this happen and how can I fix it?

EDIT: Also went through the DirectAdmin file manager to try to delete it, just for the helluvit to see if it would miraculously work. Of course it didn't, but this is what it spits back at me "Write access to the directory containing pathname was not allowed for the process's effective uid, or one of the directories in pathname did not allow search (execute) permission."

I'm assuming it is just a fancy way of saying 550 permission denied.

I did not see you explicitly say you modified the permissions before trying to delete it.

Depending on what flavor of Unix your system is you may have to do this.

When in doubt connect via SSH and just rm -r <dirname>

You might have to chown it first.

I did not see you explicitly say you modified the permissions before trying to delete it.

Depending on what flavor of Unix your system is you may have to do this.

When in doubt connect via SSH and just rm -r <dirname>

You might have to chown it first.

I tried to modify the permissions and it wouldn't let me. 550 permission denied.

I've never touched this directory before trying to delete it which is why I am even more confused.

Look at the "owner" section of the file in the file manager. Does it have your username or does it say "Apache". The files probably got owned by Apache during the plugin use.

Perhaps the permissions for the directory got screwed up and you removed write access for your user. You may need to "chmod" the directory to have write access for your user so you can remove it.

Perhaps the permissions for the directory got screwed up and you removed write access for your user. You may need to "chmod" the directory to have write access for your user so you can remove it.

He already said he can't change the permissions...

Look at the "owner" section of the file in the file manager. Does it have your username or does it say "Apache". The files probably got owned by Apache during the plugin use.

Give this man a prize!!!
prize-medal.jpg_2D00_600x450.jpg

Under the UID and GID of the directory "apache" is listed. Listed under Actions I also see a "reset owner" link. Should I just click that to get my permissions back? Or is there some more in depth shit I need to do?

I miss my ZenSix Server Management program :(

Give this man a prize!!!
prize-medal.jpg_2D00_600x450.jpg

Under the UID and GID of the directory "apache" is listed. Listed under Actions I also see a "reset owner" link. Should I just click that to get my permissions back? Or is there some more in depth shit I need to do?

I miss my ZenSix Server Management program :(

Yeah, try the "reset owner" button... If that doesn't work, the root user will have to run this on the server:

chown -R username:username /foldername/*

That will change the ownership of the folder and all files under it to your username and then they can be deleted by the user.

Yeah, try the "reset owner" button... If that doesn't work, the root user will have to run this on the server:

chown -R username:username /foldername/*

That will change the ownership of the folder and all files under it to your username and then they can be deleted by the user.

the "reset owner" button worked, thanks for the help...again.