What kind of server do you run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesH

Jun 25, 2006
Own your own box? What is it, what os, etc... And if you feel like it tell us what kinda shit is on there (splogs, quality sites, LPs, how many, etc). I'm bored, so I'll start:

Setting up an Athlon XP 2400 with 1 gig of ram to replace my shared hosting accounts. Free hosting is the goal, but I'm going to make sure its stable before I transfer anything. I plan to use LAMP and Direct Admin. Hopefully I'll be able to run a 1000+ WP MU install. Your turn.

Own your own box? What is it, what os, etc... And if you feel like it tell us what kinda shit is on there (splogs, quality sites, LPs, how many, etc). I'm bored, so I'll start:

Setting up an Athlon XP 2400 with 1 gig of ram to replace my shared hosting accounts. Free hosting is the goal, but I'm going to make sure its stable before I transfer anything. I plan to use LAMP and Direct Admin. Hopefully I'll be able to run a 1000+ WP MU install. Your turn.

1G Ram won't do shit for 1K WP installs on the same box, just so you know, the pages will crawl. I/O will also adversely come into play. I think I replied in your other thread with the setup I'd use.

I own all my own boxes and have various Godaddy VPS' for quick/dirty setups. I have about 250 clients on most of the machines hosting various applications. I host mainly niche software packages for various industries.

Not all identical, but most fit this bill:

Dell Quad core 2.8GHZ, 8G Ram, 1TB HDD, Win2003 Ent. Edition - Classified sites and any ASP sites.
Dell Quad core ?GHZ, 2G RAM, 250 HDD, CentOS - PHP sites
Dell Dual Quad Core 3.x GHZ, 16G Ram, 3TB SAN, CentOS - YouTUBE clone sites.
No-name Sempron 1.8mhz, 80G HDD, 1G RAM, Win2003 Web Edition - Classified sites / directory sites

2x Dedicated Servers. Both windows based(I like RDP, and need windows only programs). 1.5gb RAM. 2.2ghz+. 2x Shared Hosting Accounts(one currently terminated) for blackhat. 1x VPS to do all the mysql for the 2x shared hosting account. 1x Reseller account w/ HostGator(currently idle) Soon I'm adding a VPS to replace the terminated blackhat server.

2x Web server: Dual Quad Core, 2.5 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, 2x 320 GB HDD, Raid1. Load balanced setup
1x DB: Dual Quad Core 2.5 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, 4x150GB HDD, Raid 10

Runs all my LPs + Tracking.

Multiple dedicated servers and VPSes. The dedis have tons of ram and I believe each of them have 100MBit uplink. I run my blog on a VPS and all of our PHP shit runs on VPSes. The dedis these days run web applications in Rails and Pylons.

Edit: Forgot to add that 2 of the dedis also run Scheme.
Edit 2: All servers are Linux, no exceptions.

I got a 256-512MB RAM dynamic CPU share VPS. Then again I've only a couple of websites, and only one website that gets major traffic.

I was thinking about upgrading but so far the VPS hasn't slowed down and has been very reliable so no reason yet...

I got a 256-512MB RAM dynamic CPU share VPS. Then again I've only a couple of websites, and only one website that gets major traffic.

I was thinking about upgrading but so far the VPS hasn't slowed down and has been very reliable so no reason yet...

How much traffic you running through that VPS? I'm thinking of switching over to host bh on one w/ a few IPs. But I'm not sure it can take the traffic.

Not that much. Few thousand uniques a month. I guess you are going to host some more crowded sites...

You can try asking the webhost, they usually can tell you approximately how much traffic their VPS packages could possibly take.

I got my VPS with Tagbridge.net. You can check them. Haven't had a single problem with them yet.

Brag Time!....got quite a few servers but this one is my fav. It hosts my new social sites this year.

4x Quadcore Opteron 8346
8gb registered memory
2 x 1tb hdds
redhat enterprise 64bit
cpanel
128 ips.
2x 2gbit ethernet cards
65250Image1.jpg

it's kind of a challenge to fill it with quality hand made sites. hoping to have it filled by the end of the year. If I accomplish that I get to get another one.

Brag Time!....got quite a few servers but this one is my fav. It hosts my new social sites this year.

4x Quadcore Opteron 8346
8gb registered memory
2 x 1tb hdds
redhat enterprise 64bit
cpanel
128 ips.
2x 2gbit ethernet cards
65250Image1.jpg

it's kind of a challenge to fill it with quality hand made sites. hoping to have it filled by the end of the year. If I accomplish that I get to get another one.

fag

nothing like a 6% server load!

Heh, I think it will be fine wolfe. Out of those 1000-1500 MU subdomains, I don't expect to much traffic. Highly targeted traffic is the goal, regardless of volume.

If I can get that Athlon server running, I have around 3 more Pentium 4 computers, a dual Pentium 3 server, and a Core 2 Duo that would make good servers. I'd probably be able to save a good deal of money from hosting, until my ISP figures it out and makes me get a business line. Is it possible to run a business line (say 1mbps or so) to your house?

Have 6 servers running on my old school fucked up config, 3 in amsterdam, 3 in the us

Windows 2003 with apache for windows

all sorts of shit hosted on them

Even when the local datacenter wants $300 a month for 1U and 1mbps? Thats pretty fucking expensive... Well I may be able to snag a U or two or slip in a tower at my fathers office. I have a key, maybe I'll install them when they're not there haha. They won't notice ;)

Ubuntu Linux 6.06. 256MB ram. 40gig HD. AMD proc. Serverpronto is my host. I pay $30/month for it.

Hosts several video sites (but not the video media itself, I use cheap 1and1 $9/mo servers for that) and all my campaigns. video sites get over 10k uniques / day total. about 25k page views for the vid sites. Also host a few other low traffic sites on there and DNS.

most servers are overpriced and overkill. learn to optimize your box (and don't run windows) and you'll be amazed what you can get out of it. apache 2 / php 5 / mysql 5 / eaccelerator for caching

~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 44
model name : AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3000+
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 1799.861
cache size : 128 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow up pni lahf_lm ts fid vid ttp tm stc
bogomips : 3603.41

~$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal: 239736 kB
MemFree: 6976 kB
Buffers: 1784 kB
Cached: 57252 kB
SwapCached: 73292 kB
Active: 204348 kB
Inactive: 11492 kB
HighTotal: 0 kB
HighFree: 0 kB
LowTotal: 239736 kB
LowFree: 6976 kB
SwapTotal: 2097136 kB
SwapFree: 1948624 kB
Dirty: 304 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
Mapped: 187332 kB
Slab: 9948 kB
CommitLimit: 2217004 kB
Committed_AS: 364128 kB
PageTables: 2520 kB
VmallocTotal: 790520 kB
VmallocUsed: 4140 kB
VmallocChunk: 786172 kB

Okay, well we currently utilize these servers as our VPS nodes :

1) Dual Quad Core Harpertown E5420 (8 CPU's @ 2.5Ghz, each with 6MB Cache) / 16 GB RAM / 4x250 GB SATA HDDs in RAID10

2) Dual Quad Core Clovertown (8 CPU's @ 2Ghz, 4MB Cache on each cpu) / 16 GB RAM / 4x320 GB SATA HDD's in RAID10

3) Quad Core Kentsfield Q6600 (4 CPU's @ 2.4Ghz, 4MB Cache on each cpu) / 16 GB RAM / 4x320 GB SATA HDD's in RAID10

If that's what you want to do, you're much better off paying for colo.

Are you really that stupid? Is anyone?

Good colo @ $99/month for one box or 1mb u/d @ $95/month for unlimited boxes.

Wow, you're a real leet haxor. $100 says you have like 20 sites tops and none break the 10K/month threshold.

Status
Not open for further replies.