What is the best Wordpress-forum solution?

DanielQ

Jun 29, 2008
A police state.
What's the best Wordpress-forum solution?

I'm working on a project where both the blogging and forum discussion are highly important. I want to use the best solution from the get-go.

Right now I'm looking at buddypress, vBulletin and XenForo.

I'm not too fond of buddypress because it misses a lot of the features of the other two. I know XenForo has a Wordpress plug-in and I'm not sure how good it is though. I have the most experience with vBulletin, but XenForo looks appealing as well. If I use one of these two how crude would using a bridge be?

When considering my options, what's most important? How the log-ins and user accounts are handled? Are there any major downfalls of using one of these solutions? Any major benefits (aside from the obvious integration with buddypress)?

Ideally users would have one interchangeable account, but I'm sort of new to combining softwares. Advice appreciated as well.

How did you get on with this Daniel?

I've been trying to integrate Vanilla the last few weeks but I'm not exactly happy with the embeddable bit. It seems a little clunky and slow.

How does this Tal.ki compare?

What did you go with in the end?

I remember there was a bridge for vBulletin which allowed you to integrate the forum with a WordPress site. I can't recall the name but I found it in the official addons page for vB customers, when Jellsoft was leading the project.