What affects Facebook ad costs?

trooto

Apr 26, 2010
I understand that on Adwords there is a formula that includes CTR and Quality to come up with a CPC.
How does Facebook work? I guess it uses the demographics that you are targetting. Also the rating tool that appears with the ad. And CPC.
Do ads start off expensive and get cheaper?

The higher click through rate on your ad, the cheaper it gets. I'm sure many people have their own system for ads on facebook, but I usually set it at the minimum estimated bid and let it run for about 10k impressions to get your click through rate. Anything above 0.02 will last for a while. After that you can start to drop the bid, get rid of poorly converting ads and be left with reasonably priced ads. However, due to the fucked up nature of facebook, ads that are running perfectly fine one day can get wiped out the next.

Thanks Crisis,

I got a CTR of 0.03 across 150k so I guess I'm not far off. How much will the price drop?

Just another quick question - how many ads do you run at once.

the cost depends on how competitive the demographic is you're targeting. the more advertisers targeting the same people, the higher the cost.

I would always try at least 10-20 variations of the same add, see which does better. Then do different targets of the ad based on age groups and see what does the best for conversions. Cost of the ad doesn't matter, its always about the yield and profit! :)

I just started my first PPC campaign on FB as well. I only have one ad running but I totally should be running more to find the right demographic and best ad copy to optimize CTR. I hear having a .3% CTR is what one should shoot for.

Just a FYI, a .03 CTR is generally considered extremely poor, and unless there's some reason why the CTR is profitable at such a low metric, you're likely running an unoptimized ad. If you test a lot more chances are you'll hit something >.03. If you've ran it for 150k impressions, are you losing money? Or is this not CPA but driving traffic to an organic site of your own? Regardless, I assume your CPC is very high unless it's some tier 4 intl country... Even double your current CTR would likely be seen as poor, although it might be getting some minor roi if it's some uber cheap intl (which I doubt it is).

I just started my first PPC campaign on FB as well. I only have one ad running but I totally should be running more to find the right demographic and best ad copy to optimize CTR. I hear having a .3% CTR is what one should shoot for.

A .3% CTR is definitely exceptional and the vast majority of people will no where near hit that on average. Often that high a CTR is seen from shocking ads, deceptive ads, or borderline irrelevant ads that get curiosity clicks. This is not a sweeping statement as .3 ctrs have been seen from very well done ads, but what you should shoot for as a realistic goal is obviously first anything that's profitable, but numerically probably around .1-1.3, which, depending on your country, is either moderately difficult to quite difficult in terms of how much testing it will take to find something that hits that. Anyways, "decent" IMO is going to be around .075-.085, and usually those numbers can be breakeven to mild ROI, but it depends on the country. If you want to shoot for something you might as well shoot for a 10% CTR, but that's not likely and on the whole, from most people's experiences, with contextual exceptions, neither is 3%.

As for the OP, there are no quality scores like Google and usually the CPM will stay the same for your campaign but obviously the cpc or effective cpc will change depending on your ctr. The starting bid/suggested bid for CPM is determined by other advertiser competition in the country, competing bids/competing volume, and likely a baseline price Facebook puts on there for countries. However if you're looking for clicks, the latest policy change is that bidding CPC will give you 'higher quality clicks' (perhaps not from app traffic, or perhaps higher up on the ad display) - the suggested CPC bid is only a rough estimate here, because your CTR can drastically affect this.

However I've seen times where my CTR is great, meaning I should be getting clicks for cheaper than my max CPC bid, but Facebook will artificially increase my CPM to meet my max CPC bid. Kinda funny, since I have nearly identical ads running with a much less CTR getting the same CPC, just their CPM is so much lower for the same exact demographic... kinda troublesome, to say the least, since it's obviously artificial CPM inflation. In this case I usually just lower my max bid and often see the CPM drop right before my eyes, but sometimes impressions stop even though my CTR is great, so I'm not sure just how low I can go. Obviously the solution to this is to run CPM, but there's the quality issue there with the recent policy change. Not sure how it would affect conversions though.