Website Design and Conversions

DirtRyder_99

Jan 21, 2012
I'm starting a review site and I'm wondering what the best design would be to maximize my conversions. I'm going to review the top 5 products in my niche. I've put a lot of focus on writing strong, quality content to convert my visitors into paying customers.

So now I'm trying to decide whether to go with a simple, modest design for the site or something more flashy. It seems to me that with a review site a more simple design would build more trust with the visitors. I'm thinking that it will convince them that I'm just an individual who wants to share my honest experience with these products, rather than pushing them to buy. With this method I would just rely on my content to convert them.

On the other hand, I could also see how a really flashy, attention grabbing site could offer a higher conversion rate. With this method I would just have large call-to-action buttons that draw their attention right away. This would put less focus on getting them to actually read my content, and more focus on getting them to just click my links.

I know the best way to find out what works best would be to split test it myself. My only issue with that is if I'm going to go for the simple design, I know I can build it myself using wordpress. If I'm going to go the other route, then I would just hire a designer/coder to build the site for me.

So does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?