VPS

Sharksfan

May 28, 2009
WI
Okay - I am ready to move from crappy shared hosting to a VPS - I started to do this before and it ended poorly - long story - moral of the story is "don't trust your friend who can totally host anything"....

That said - I've seen various ads in here for a VPS. I am intimately familiar with hosting for large enterprise applications for Fortune 100/Fed Gov organizations...but not so much with the mid-market.

What am I looking for besides uptime, etc? I really do not know, for example, how much RAM a simple Wordpress app isntall with MySQL/Apache takes up per 100 simultaneous visitors.

Thanks in advance...

I can't begin to tell you how satisfied I am with Liquid Web (aff link).

Their support is legendary got me out of a bind several times. Lots of people on wicked fire use them too.

You won't be disppointed!

Okay - I am ready to move from crappy shared hosting to a VPS - I started to do this before and it ended poorly - long story - moral of the story is "don't trust your friend who can totally host anything"....

That said - I've seen various ads in here for a VPS. I am intimately familiar with hosting for large enterprise applications for Fortune 100/Fed Gov organizations...but not so much with the mid-market.

What am I looking for besides uptime, etc? I really do not know, for example, how much RAM a simple Wordpress app isntall with MySQL/Apache takes up per 100 simultaneous visitors.

Thanks in advance...

Every site is going to be different and it'll depend on your control panel choice. But if you have 100 simultaneous users it's going to take quite a bit. At that point you'd be better off with a dedicated server.

I use and recommend serverbalance vps (aff link)

The admin is top-notch and strives for customer service. Got a script to install? They'll do it for free. Need help setting up your server? No problem.

I've never had any problems with them and they are always available to help.

Serverbalance gives you twice as much as everyone else and even comes with a money-back guarantee.

tommy.bmp

Course some data gathering prior would have likely helped. However 100 simutaneous users visiting wordpress doesn't seem like a lot when you have a vps or dedicated server. I would say:

Softlayer.com for a dedicated server (something in the 1gb ram range, preferably an intel processor with cpanel/whm)
LiquideWeb.com for a premium VPS (search for coupon codes there's plenty)
Knownhost.com for a more affordable VPS (cpanel/whm only 5$ more), use KH4LIFE to get 50% off the first month and 15% off every other month.
And course there's ZenSix (by Subigo above) for an even cheaper VPS.

The above should have least 99.5% uptime.

I currently have two VPS with knownhost (one without a control panel running NGinx webserver, and the other with whm/cpanel)

Also if your shared hosting isn't using a control panel such as cpanel, migration going to be quite a bit slower. Where as if you already had a VPS or Dedi with cpanel/whm on it (or shared hosting such as hostgator using cpanel), migration from one hosting provider to another is quite a breeze.

Buy this server:

Intel P4 2.4GHz
2.4GHz processor
1GB RAM
80GB IDE hard drive
4,000GB monthly traffic

Get this server FREE:

Intel P4 2.4GHz
2.4GHz processor
1GB RAM
80GB IDE hard drive
4,000GB monthly traffic

You get 2 motherfucking dedicated servers for $59/month

Of course, they've got plenty better servers you can get this deal on. My question to you would be ... why get 1 VPS when you can get 2 dedicated servers for close to the same price?

SUPERB.NET FTMFW!!!!!

Thanks all - I am quickly outgrowing my crappy shared hosting and this is good info.

And yes, I did make the n00b mistake of getting crappy shared hosting. Fortunately it's paying for itself and it's time to upgrade.

Ddoes anyone know of a good place to get tutorials on Windows VPS? I am thinking of going this route, but know nothing about how to use. Thanks

Buy this server:

Intel P4 2.4GHz
2.4GHz processor
1GB RAM
80GB IDE hard drive
4,000GB monthly traffic

Get this server FREE:

Intel P4 2.4GHz
2.4GHz processor
1GB RAM
80GB IDE hard drive
4,000GB monthly traffic

You get 2 motherfucking dedicated servers for $59/month

Of course, they've got plenty better servers you can get this deal on. My question to you would be ... why get 1 VPS when you can get 2 dedicated servers for close to the same price?

SUPERB.NET FTMFW!!!!!

Get ^^^^

I can't believe no one has mentioned WiredTree yet.. They are great. Their customer service is amazing, if I email them right now (3am EST) to add a new module to apache they'll have it built and installed by 3:30am. Yes, I have done this.

Unmanaged: Linode or Slicehost
Managed: WiredTree, ServInt, KnownHost (with cPanel), JaguarPC