.US domains

oknetwork

Jan 27, 2008
Whats wrong with .us domains? Why there no SE love for them at all?
I'm yet to see .us domain to rank for anything and this is completely different in another countries: like .de gets more love in google.de than .com.
Anyone had good experience ranking .us domain?

Yahoo loves .us. And by loves .US I mean it's absolutely infatuated with them. That's not necessarily the best news ever because yahoo's search engine is not the king of the hill and not long for this earth, but it works for now. I have an adult toy .us domain that is poorly developed, with very little unique content and hardly any backlinks ranked at #2 at yahoo for it's keyword.

Examples of keywords you can check out at yahoo:

power tools
cabin rentals
cheap laptops

Google does seem to have issues but google.com is very, very .com/.org (and a little .net) biased in general. Try ranking a .TV or .Biz and you'll run into the same issues.

Disclaimer: I own many .US domains so I am a bit biased.

.us is useless!!! because US websites are going for .com and not .us! .de is much better than .us as it is being used more than .us

Very rational argument if you are trying to build the next twitter or facebook or if you are german (.de), but for affiliate marketing, SEO, etc. the ability to get an exact match .US at a great price makes up for any short comings. But I'm okay with domainers ignoring .US and jacking up auction prices because that just means I get better deals.