Unemployment question

Status
Not open for further replies.

transistor

Sep 30, 2007
I would post in the other thread relating to this topic, but it was closed.

I was laid off recently and have since started making quite a bit of money online. Am I still able to apply for unemployment benefits? I am now making more money online than I was working as an engineer.

Should I have my payments from adsense held while I collect unemployment just to be safe?

There are a lot of variables. Like when the money was earned, how much was earned in comparison to regular benefit,etc.

If you are a sole prop then your earnings are everything you make, minus biz expenses. If you were structured in a company your personal earnings would only be what the company paid you in wages.

My standard response/reaciton would be to file and claim any earnings as normally expected. If you make too much, you will know.

When is "recently"? I would have filed the next day. Unless you are saying you were laidoff and were already making more than from your job that day, and then.well I just don't know.

hmm good question. Hubby thinks he's about to be laid off (AIG) and I file as sole proprietor with my biz. Does it make a difference if the spouse is collecting unemployment?

There are a lot of variables. Like when the money was earned, how much was earned in comparison to regular benefit,etc.

If you are a sole prop then your earnings are everything you make, minus biz expenses. If you were structured in a company your personal earnings would only be what the company paid you in wages.

My standard response/reaciton would be to file and claim any earnings as normally expected. If you make too much, you will know.

When is "recently"? I would have filed the next day. Unless you are saying you were laidoff and were already making more than from your job that day, and then.well I just don't know.
Well, I was laid off in January, but wasn't technically terminated until a couple weeks ago. I didn't apply the next day because I've been on a road trip for the past few weeks.

When I was laid off in January, I was making almost as much as I was as an engineer. Now I'm making about 50% more. If I told the unemployment office that, I would receive no benefit. The thing is, I'm going back to school in the fall and the money I would receive from unemployment would really come in handy. I don't think it would be ethically wrong since my employer paid the unemployment tax and I lost my job.

I'm only getting paid monthly, and with adsense, who knows how long it will last...

Well, I was laid off in January, but wasn't technically terminated until a couple weeks ago. I didn't apply the next day because I've been on a road trip for the past few weeks.

When I was laid off in January, I was making almost as much as I was as an engineer. Now I'm making about 50% more. If I told the unemployment office that, I would receive no benefit. The thing is, I'm going back to school in the fall and the money I would receive from unemployment would really come in handy. I don't think it would be ethically wrong since my employer paid the unemployment tax and I lost my job.

I'm only getting paid monthly, and with adsense, who knows how long it will last...

Having been though this myself, just apply for it. Fill out the questions truthfuly, if you don't qualify they will let you know.

However sounds like your making enough self employed that they will kick you to the curb because your trying to fuck the system - and frankly, I wouldn't want to get caught in the middle of it with the state.

Your making more than you where at your last job, chances are your SOL. But what do you really have to bitch about? If you stop making money you can apply for it.

At least here they do have restrictions on how much you can be making, or the amount of hours your putting in. Check your state.

If you plan on going to school, read very carefully the conditions regarding school hours versus availability for work. I'm not sure how your state does it, but you can bet that if you tell them the truth no matter what your situation, you won't get shit.

Bureaucracy rewards those who try to game the system while the honest man almost always gets screwed.

^ Truth.

Back in 2004 before I discovered the world of AM, I worked for a shitty business that went under. We showed up for work one day and the doors were locked. We also got screwed out of 4 weeks pay. One of the guys I worked with was a student and therefore didn't qualify for any unemployment benefits.

I would just call them up and explain your situation. I wouldn't lie, cause you don't want to get into that kind of mess. If you are making good money with AM, I would honestly just avoid the hassle of having to collect unemployment. I had to do it after that place went out of business and trust me, it's no fun. In my state, you have to check in with them every 2 weeks and provide proof that you've actually been applying for work.

I have a somewhat related question... I live in a state without income tax. I'm planning on going to school in California next year. If I remain a resident of my current state, I won't have to pay a state income tax, right?

I have a somewhat related question... I live in a state without income tax. I'm planning on going to school in California next year. If I remain a resident of my current state, I won't have to pay a state income tax, right?

Pretty sure that applies only to Military.

You'll get a tax statement on your earnings while you were in the new state from the new state, not your old state.

If I started an LLC, I could go without paying myself to earn the unemployment money, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.