Two TED talks to get you thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metcalfe

Mar 1, 2009
Sydney
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUdsTizSxSI"]YouTube - Dan Ariely: Why we think it's OK to cheat and steal (sometimes)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-4flnuxNV4"]YouTube - Dan Gilbert: Exploring the frontiers of happiness[/ame]

Both of these look at the fundamental psychology beneath perception and include heaps of tidbits that are totally exploitable.

I think my favourite idea is in Dan Gilbert's talk.

Say you are given the chance to buy a lottery ticket for $1, there are 10 tickets total so you have a 1/10 chance of winning and the prize is $20. This lottery is a good deal because the "value" of the ticket is 1/10 * 20 = $2.

However if you are given a chance to buy the same lottery ticket, still 1/10 chance of winning and a $20 payout, but some guy has bought the 9 other tickets. His research shows we are likely to pass on the offer.

Our decision isn't only affected by the value to us, it is also affected by the value for others.

Have been meaning to buy Dan Ariely's book.

This has pushed me over the edge. Barely had time to get through Cialdini's first one.

Interesting talks, thanks for the links!

TED is such a great site. There's a talk on there somewhere about the intelligence of crows. Fascinating stuff!

Btw, you can get TED talks straight to your iTunes automatically when they add new videos. They have free videocast. Sorry, too lazy to dig straight link.

TED is my first bookmark on my toolbar. I literally listen to 3-4 talks per night, they're all worth listening to.

I'm reading (listening to, whatever) Predictably Irrational right now.

Very freaking cool. These will be taking the place of my music for a while.

Both? :D

Nah...I'm going to listen to them because when you stop learning and thinking you start dying.

Very true, here's a few of my thoughts I jotted down after watching those videos today..

1. Associate the emotion/thought in the user that will benefit the products consumption/endorsement
ex: corona / travel thoughts, bud / men sports/activities (football etc..)

2. Make your ads a part of the demographic you are targeting, it's the only way to get a message across (pretend you know where they're coming from emotionally, racially, patriotically, socially, status wise, physically etc..) once this association is made offer them the "solution" that saved you.

3. The bigger the distance between the consequence of spending the money & the ease of buying into X the larger the percentage of buyers will give in.
ex: people associating a purchase of a pizza to an item, reducing the consequence (as people bought many pizza's before)

4. Link your product to a positive & consumptive mode of thought (use the brain review program to your advantage by associating positive past experiences with the message/product you are transmitting

5. The quicker your product sheds a positive emotion in your reader, the faster the sale

6. Create a sense of not only getting the best deal of the moment but also getting a better deal than everyone else.

7. Incite fear towards an unknown(ex: germs), teach this unknown to the user(why germs are bad), give the user a chance to retaliate with X(germ product)

A few ones I'm still pondering on are..

1.Is feeding people's ego or destroying it, a more effective means of creating a bond between the ad copy & the user? (ex: The smart choice is... OR Most people make the wrong decision when choosing.../ if you usually make x & x mistake..)

2.If people's vision isn't generally farsighted is it better to make your sales by capturing them in the moment, feeding their rush, creative value in the world of the now, or conversely making them farsighted by making them dream and associating your product in the world of future benefits?

blah blah blah, tl:dr.. :updown:

You guys also wanna check out "desperate buyers only" by Alexis dawes. It was the first (and only) ebook I ever bought. Good shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.