Twitter | The Twitterverse Explained

c4yrslf12

Level 3
Dec 2, 2012
USA
Twitter | The Twitterverse Explained
========================================
If you're looking for a product to buy which will give you short-term, synthetic Twitter distinction, this isn't for you. Turn back now.This is action-based, manual labor which might yield you real traffic. This is the long method, but in more detail. These opinions are my own, and I will not link any sites.

What I'm Going To Cover:
Intro: Why Twitter Is Important
  1. Twitter Names
  2. Settings
  3. Basics
  • a. trends
  • b. tags
  • c. content
  1. Strategy
  2. Traffic
  3. Automation

Intro
=====
Why Is Twitter Important?
There are several reasons. First, and in my opinion, the most important: 140 characters. For those of you who are new to Twitter, or have sold off the task, tweets are limited to 140 characters. As much as I hear people complain about this, it's absolutely an advantage if you know what you're doing. Twitter is a space for users with no attention span, users looking for a quick fix of some sort (knowledge, news, and hoopla). Quick facts, jokes, national/local news bits, and motivation are among the top searches, closely followed by sports updates, celeb gossip, and what I call streamers(more on this later). All else is trends, trends, trends, and these range anywhere from funny pictures, . When someone can get any of these items in just 140 characters, and tens at a time, it's satisfactory.
Second, the retweet. A retweet (RT) is basically the worlds least strong "referral" in the Twitterverse. Yet, it is a referral, nonetheless. When a user RTs your phrase, tag, or link, they are basically driving your account to all of their followers. If someone has a following of 100, or 1,000, or tens of thousands, your tweet is suddenly going to be in front of the eyes of several users who either are, or aren't your targeted audience. In my opinion, referrals are a integral part of any business, either in person or dotcom. Why not use a system where the system itself is a referral driven one?
Last, speed. Twitter takes such little time once it is up and running it's almost effortless. If you can't come up with 140 characters of content here and there, you're fucked anyway. Once you get to automation, you can bang out a ton of content in one sitting, and drip feed your followers for weeks or months at a time. Ask me about recycling, too, because I'll probably forget about it later on.
Ready? Let's roll.
NOTE: If you already use Twitter regularly, skip to 4: Strategy.

TWITTER NAMES
You actually have multiple twitter names. Most people don't see it this way, but you do. You have an actual account name which is the "@" symbol followed by <user name>.
@UserName is an example. So for instance, the National Football League uses @NFL.
As you go through Twitter, you reference other users by posting their name with the "@" sign (which from here on out I'll just refer to as name) and it becomes a clicky. Click on it and it directs you instantly to their profile, which has a quick description, followed by some other info which I'll get to under "Settings." When users post something, like, "Did you see @Beyonce at the Superbowl?" on their feed, any of their followers now have a direct link to Beyonce's profile along with the content. This serves dual purpose: Referral to that person in case the user thinks their followers might click on it, or also so Beyonce herself sees the comment.
So when creating a name, you don't want your user name to be something like @dk1kc380 because when people are discussing you, your topics, etc., you want to be easily read. Without even clicking the name, a user wants to know exactly who you're talking about. If you're talking about the NFL but their name was @EneffEll123 you'd be a lot less likely to read that comment than if it just said @NFL.
The second part to twitter names is what the viewer sees on their feed. If you're scrolling your feed and you see something about the NFL, it's going to look like this:
NFL (@NFL) : Be sure to see the Ravens turn up the heat on the 49ers tonight on @ABC in HD!
But, if the NFL wanted, they could also display this, with a simple change to their feed name:
National Football League (@NFL): Be sure to see the Ravens turn up the heat on the 49ers on @ABC in HD!
See the difference? Be sure to utilize both. Sometimes your name can be identical to your feed name, sometimes your feed name can be an expanded version while your name is the same as your EMD. The limits here are obviously endless, but be sure to put some thought into it. To make it simple, people who do not already follow you will see your FEED name first more than likely because of RTs, while those who are more familiar with you will be using your @name much more frequently as they comment to/about you.
Last: The blue check mark next to a name means it is a verified account. The top accounts have verification because they are often duplicated. You won't need to verify your account unless you become very popular and people are emulating you constantly, or, quite possibly, if you build such a brand Twitter might just do it for you. BUT: some people swear by having a verified account because people are more likely to follow you. Me, personally, I find it quite the opposite because the "Name Brands" are much less likely to react with me as a follower. Every person is different in this thought process.

SETTINGS
By settings, I basically mean interface (but you modify it all in your settings tab while you're in Twitter). Your interface says a lot about you. Like you modify your CSS files, your Twitter settings allow you to be visually pleasing to the eyes. Also in this section, I'll discuss your display settings.
Your interface is modifiable sort of like the old MySpace. Colors, backgrounds, lines, pictures, headers, etc. You get the idea. Just as you consider your websites visuals, do the same for your Twitter. Go as far as only tagging good, quality pictures as Twitter keeps an album for users to view old posts.
My recommendation here would be to try to implement the same scheme as your site as far as colors, and obviously use the same header as your website (Twitter uses specific sizes for headers and pictures, be sure to have your header sized appropriately). If your brand has a catch phrase, tagline, etc, be sure to use it as your despcription of yourself. Obviously (although somehow, people seem to neglect this) use your websites URL in here. This will actually display your URL as a clicky to every person who accesses your account.
Locked Mode: You have the option to be locked where you hide your tweets from those who do not follow you. Turn this off. Nothing makes a user turn away faster.
Do realize different things are displayed on your Twitter account depending on the other users access point. A person accessing from Windows is very different from those accessing by cell phones. Be sure to test each avenue so there's some consistency in what they see.
I'm not going to expand much further in this section, because it's like art: visually subjective.

BASICS
Trends
"Like, ZOMG, #KimKardashiansAss is trending right now!"
Trending topics are hot topics. Topics which are being tweeted aggressively. Trends have no real expiration default, other than when people stop talking about it. Something like the Superbowl can trend for multiple days. Something like #KimKardashiansAss is likely to trend for a very short duration. Worldly events, such as school shootings, Katrina, Tsunamis, Royal Weddings and such things can trend for days or longer.
There are also different kinds of trends which you can have Twitter display for you: ones specifically kind to your actions/followers/previous tweets, and those which are the top trends in the world. You can actually choose which ones you'd like to have displayed, and Twitter will show you the top ten. Generally, the top one Twitter shows you is a sponsored trend. Some account paid big bucks to be the foremost trend to which their market is tailored. For example, #HereWeGo might trend during the SuperBowl if Budlight so chooses.
More on trends in the Strategy section.
Tags
There are lots of things you can "tag" when you tweet. People, trends, BYO hashtags, pictures, videos, and links.
People: By tweeting someones username with the @ sign, you are creating a name tag directly in your tweet. " Did you see @Beyonce?!" Not only can anyone now immediately click on Beyonce and be brought directly to her profile, but Beyonce also gets an activity notification that she has been mentioned.
Trends: If you are browsing trends and find one you'd like to be in on, simply hit the "Create your own tweet" button and you add your own comment. "Wow, this #Superbowl sure has taken a crazy spin in this last quarter!" Anyone who was watching the #Superbowl trend will see your tweet, and anyone who wasn't has the option of clicking #Superbowl as it is now a clicky, and following the trend.
BYO Hashtags: Easily the most overused thing in Twitter, to which I'm not a huge fan of. Basically, you can create your own hashtag for people to click and follow. But unless you're an actual trendsetter, it's pretty useless. Tweeple now just use it to make some sort of silly underlying statement. "I'm so hungry right now! #CouldEatAnElephantRightNow" Obviously, something like that is VERY unlikely to trend (although there's always groups who try to get stupid shit trending=huge waste of time). Now, as a BRAND, you might want to BYO hashtag and use it repeatedly. Some of the reputable accounts will repeatedly use a phrase and eventually, when there's a hot tweet from their followers, it goes trending and suddenly ALL that persons tweets with the hashtag are basically trending (if a person is willing to go back as far.) More on this in strategic. But basically, fun and games for the 99%.
Pictures: You can actually tweet pictures from a lot of mediums. Instagram, Pictwtter, and Razzi are some of the most common you'll see. Instagram obviously is coming from a tied account to Instagram (I would recommend this as you can build rep in multiple lines quickly). Pictwitter is Twitter's default method. If you were to take a picture with your mobile, upload it and caption it directly to Twitter, it's going to be hosted by Twitter. Razzi and other similar hosts all work much like Instagram. "Dude, you were so wasted last night! HA! #trashed pictwitt.er/257302"
Video: Works much like pictures, although it's vid. YouTube is by far the most popular. "That catch was so sick! #SCTop10 yout.ube/1hb12B721"
Links: You can use links as tags also, which become clicky's for your followers to act on. Since Twitter's limit is 140 characters as mentioned above, I recommend using bit.ly in 98% of all cases. The only cases in which I wouldn't is if I'm using my own URL to my website in a tweet. Even so, you can forego using the "http:///www." piece or Twitter (in some cases) will even shorten the link for you so it fits. "Be sure to get this weekend's deal before it expires! nfl.com"

STRATEGY
Now the fun part (welcome to those who are previous users).
How to make MOONNIIEES by increasing some Traffix!
There are two kinds of traffic in Twitter. Active and Passive. I think of them just like Seeders and Leeches from the pirating world. Not that...I've...got a clue...to what that is...
Your active users are engaged, RTing, favoriting, and talking directly with you. They even sometimes DM (direct message) you. They are the seeders, because they are constantly implanting your content to the feeds of their followers. As you have created content over time, they are spreading the word, piece by piece to the rest of the Twitterverse and expanding your audience. Even haters I would consider to be Seeders because negative PR can still be conversation building PR, although it is typically short lived.
Leeches are followers who do nothing. They never unfollow you, they never participate in anything, and they themselves offer pretty much no value. But don't write them off yet.
For the purpose of this conversation, we're going to talk mostly to the Seeders, and how to not only get more of them, but to get them engaged.
1) Seeder Acquisition:
There are lots of ways to do this, and everyone will have lots of ideas in doing this. I would love to hear your ideas on what to do.
What I find most useful in getting started is to search a keyword you'd like to have as a part of your niche. Going along with my NFL theme here, let's say you were promoting a site which has baller NFL scouting reports. Search for keywords around that niche. Discover which accounts seem to dominate those keywords already. Once you have found the dominant accounts, discover the dominant users who are constantly involved in what that dominant account has to say. Once you discover those users, COMMENT about THEIR COMMENTS which are DIRECTLY TIED to the keyword you searched. Read that sentence again carefully. You are not retweeting. You are not following. You are extending the conversation ABOUT the ACCOUNT by involving the most involved USERS, via keyword.
IF YOU LEARN NOTHING ELSE FORM THIS THREAD, READ THAT LAST PARAGRAPH AGAIN!
Search: NFL. Find @NFLScoutsInc. Find @ScoutsIncUser. Comment on @ScoutsIncUser's shit.
Search: NFL Draft. Find @NFL. Find @ScoutExpert. Comment on @ScoutExpert's shit.
Etc.
(those are all made up, fyi)
If you are creating a legendary Twitter account, you will not need to RT (except one of your other Twitter accounts) and you rarely EVER favorite a tweet (typically a verified user who has tweeted something about you to their followers: this is simply an acknowledgemnt gesture in my opinion). TWITTER IS PSYCHOLOGICAL! Just like your site, you have to have the mindset of being a LEADER not a FOLLOWER. So don't fucking FOLLOW 12,000 accounts! Can you follow 100-200? Sure! Make sure they are 100% relevant, add value to which you can extend to your followers (NOT VIA RT!!), and be sure they are Top Accounts, Verified Accounts, or even very well known Brands.
In the beginning, you need to follow the directions above on tweeting about other accounts via dominant users conversations. If you are valid, make good points, and add value, ONE of their RTs are very likely to be taken seriously. Why?
REFERRALS!!!
Going back to one of the main reasons of why Twitter is valuable as mentioned in the beginning. If you have the most active, intelligent users RTing your active, intelligent tweets, you are gaining TARGETED audiences quickly. So as you make your "blanket tweets," your TARGETED RTs are now reaching more of your target audience. Boom, snowball. By injecting your whole Twitter-being into a very specific and attentive audience, you're going to build an account of Seeders and not Leechers.
2.) Now, regardless of how hard you try, you're still going to acquire the Leeches. Here is where they are, somewhat, useful. They add to the number of followers you have. That's it. They're just a number. But remember, Twitter is PSYCHOLOGICAL! Over time, as you gain more followers (regardless of their value to you), people are more likely to follow you because they think you "appear" expert and knowledgeable. In the beginning, when your follower count is the lowest, it is the hardest to acquire.

3.) Stay up-to-date. If you are a moment behind in the Twitterverse, you're literally a lightyear behind. Twitter has to be one of the fastest "markets" I've worked in since I started social media for traffic. If you choose to follow some of the largest and best accounts in your niche, this is where they are most valuable. Just as you article spin, learn to Tweet-Spin. If you keep on top of this extremely closely, your followers (who are MUCH less likely to know before you) can only get the information from two other sources: Your competitors and RTs from whom they follow. But if you're the lead generator, YOUR tweet is the one being RTed every time.
4.) Plug and Play. Always be dropping a plug for some other user, and always being inviting your followers to play.
Plugging: "@ScoutExpert is killin' it with his #MiamiDolphin projections, but he knows nothing about the #Patriots." Play the role of the higher power. AGREE with one aspect of a user (to gain their love) and DISAGREE with another to gain their activity. By making a statement such as this, you're acting as if you have the AUTHORITY to disagree, while still gaining their allegiance on some behalf. Your whole objective is to get them to start talking to you. In the end, you want to end up their friend. Be smart about this and you'll gain them as a follower, and they'll RT you to their followers.
5.) Always write a unique and sincere thank you to each person individually (in the beginning) to assure those first few followers stick with you. Do this by either direct message, or (best case scenario) tweet "Thanks for the follow @UserName, I look forward to discussing XYZ niche with you further!"
6.) DO NOT Direct Message a bunch of spammy bullshit on your followers, or to anyone! Don't do it. Don't do it. Don't do it! That's the fastest way to get unfollowed by a Seeder.
Those are some rules I like to stick to which shows you have Authority, shows you're a REAL person and not a bot, and puts you in place of being an informational powerhouse to which your Seeders will respond and ulitimately grow your following for you via RTs and Favorites.
Once you have a few hundred GENUINE tweets and followers, then you can start to do a few things different.
a. Buy followers -- this will hands down make you look like you're attracting a good following, and that there's general interest. DO NOT, however, buy more than 500/wk. Nothing is more bullshit than when you look at an account with 100 tweets, following 0, with 80k followers. We all know you're full of shit. Once in a blue moon will someone have that much of an impact, and it's only because they have a sister account who is RT them to 1M people twice a day. Once you're past 30k, you can stop buying. If you have quality tweets, you'll pull 25-50/day of followers, of which at least 25-50% should be targeted.
b. Follow more--continue to search out at least 2-3 high quality accounts to follow per week AMONG the people who follow YOU! This will enhance the likelihood of those followers staying with you, and there will be a tighter bond with amongst you two. This will increase RTs, which increases your referrals to more quality people and higher probability of targeted traffic.
c. Link-a-Day--Drop a link a day to your site or LP or other blog which can lead traffic to your capture page or checkout for products. Don't spam. Vary the link. Don't just use your domain every single time. You look like a salesman again when you do that. Yes, a new post counts. NO, tags don't (in the form of pictures coming from Instagram, Youtube videos to your YT channel).
Which leads me to our next topic...

TRAFFIC
Let's first address the type of traffic Twitter is going to yield you. First off, a high percentage of "buyers" from Twitter are using cell phones. Your site better be able to readily accept a cell phone users traffic, or at LEAST capture their contact info so you can e-mail blast them later. Having said that, people who use Twitter the most are very ADD and if you get them to click your site, they are likely to jump around a little bit if you have a good LP or main page. The trick is to get them to click your link. If you do things correctly, you'll see your main traffic spikes when you get the most RTs. As much as you think your link tweets and tagged tweets are yielding you traffic, it's not. The people who have already been to your site via Twitter or attached social media aren't nearly as likely to return unless you really have something which they want. The vast majority of site hits directly referred from Twitter is going to come off the tweets which get RTed. It's the fresh faces who are representing the new traffic.
Don't expect Twitter to increase your traffic over a long run. Twitter links which get passed around are quickly forgotten. I wouldn't even call them hard links. They get passed along and either they get clicked or not, then they are history. You will get an occassional favorite, and even those people don't really go back to very often, if at all. If you think Twitter is a great tool to get backlinks, you're a little looney.
The traffic you should expect to recieve will actually be very targeted though, when you get it. If you've done everything right, the traffic ought to be people who are most likely interested in your niche; otherwise, there are far more things on Twitter coming in, literally, every single second.
Finally, the traffic from Twitter is going to have a nutty bounce rate if your site isn't speed optimized. Again, cell phones are a root to this, but also, Twitter users are on speed. They don't want to wait a moment at all. They will likely also no be checking out tons and tons of pages. Be sure to direct your Twitter links to very specific pages, such as capture pages and checkout pages.
The best way to create long lasting traffic after a while, is to implement automation.

AUTOMATION
Hootsuite is my favorite, and at $9.99, you can set up all your tweets for a day, week, month at a time. You'd be crazy not to. Any similar system will do.
DO NOT automate "follow back" and DMs. In my opinion, that's utterly useless and even counter productive. You are an authority. You don't need to auto-follow because people want to FOLLOW YOU, and you ought not spam DMs because they aren't very personal.
Automate fresh content as much as possible. But on occassion, yes I remembered, recycle. Don't be afraid to "recycle" the best of the best tweets you've posted in the past. Go back and see which ones were favorited, RTed or talked about the most. Drop it again after 30 days has passed, and watch the reaction closely. Same? Better? Worse? Evaluate and repeat if you think it could help. Remember, you have a different (hopefully additional) audience as you progress.

CLOSING THOUGHTS
Be active.
Be genuine.
Be creative.
PROTIP
People love giveaways and #free things, but make them RT for it.

+1000 for this post. It is easier to get traction on facebook, but as the followers/fans grow, twitter grows exponentially while on facebook it is the opposite.

Also monetization is Bleh on facebook.

Thanks for this post. But then I am sure 95% viewers have done a tldr.
If only they knew :p

I now have about 10% of my resources invested on twitter. I just hope they don't become a dick like facebook though. FYI, scheduling is a very small part of twitter.

It is the interaction with other big twitter accounts that take time.

Protip: You can buy RTs from large twitter accounts. Unless you have 50-100K followers, it is damn tough to get meaningful trades for RTs and Follows etc.

Concentrate on building up one popular Twitter account first. Buy/trade, maybe offer blow jobs.. But build it up to say 200-300K followers.
From there is all uphill.. You can RT your own, you can trade and what not.

A bit of gruntwork but damn easy to train a 300 dollar VA
Just pray that he doesn't steal your account haha

+1000 for this post. It is easier to get traction on facebook, but as the followers/fans grow, twitter grows exponentially while on facebook it is the opposite.

Also monetization is Bleh on facebook.

Thanks for this post. But then I am sure 95% viewers have done a tldr.
If only they knew :p

I now have about 10% of my resources invested on twitter. I just hope they don't become a dick like facebook though. FYI, scheduling is a very small part of twitter.

It is the interaction with other big twitter accounts that take time.

Protip: You can buy RTs from large twitter accounts. Unless you have 50-100K followers, it is damn tough to get meaningful trades for RTs and Follows etc.

Concentrate on building up one popular Twitter account first. Buy/trade, maybe offer blow jobs.. But build it up to say 200-300K followers.
From there is all uphill.. You can RT your own, you can trade and what not.

A bit of gruntwork but damn easy to train a 300 dollar VA
Just pray that he doesn't steal your account haha

"It is the interaction with other big twitter accounts that take time. " #this

Good Protip also.

+ Rep.

I have no clue when it comes to Twitter.

Plenty of people out there will throw some shit up for pretty cheap if you aren't willing to do it. After setup, it's very automated if you're not trying to breach 1M followers. You're just paying them a monthly fee to fill your hootsuite for you ;)

Great thread, whenever I start new websites Twitter (and Google+) literally carry the site for months before other forms of traffic start to kick in. Even later it proves to be one of the biggest sources of referral traffic.

Tip: For lead generation (b2b) use Tweetadder to follow the followers of conferences or any big events happening in the niche you're pursuing. Also, when the event is going on use the hashtags that all these events now use and get your message out there to these people when appropriate.

Conferences or big events are so great because people go there to connect and learn, which is one the best opportunities to to get them familiar with your site.

Great thread, whenever I start new websites Twitter (and Google+) literally carry the site for months before other forms of traffic start to kick in. Even later it proves to be one of the biggest sources of referral traffic.

Tip: For lead generation (b2b) use Tweetadder to follow the followers of conferences or any big events happening in the niche you're pursuing. Also, when the event is going on use the hashtags that all these events now use and get your message out there to these people when appropriate.

Conferences or big events are so great because people go there to connect and learn, which is one the best opportunities to to get them familiar with your site.

I agree with your first and third paragraphs. I personally am against anything auto-follow because you lose the personal touch and you lose a little authority (in my mind) because of the excessive followings/follower ratio. But everyone looks at this differently. It depends on your niche/focus/authority you're looking to portray.

Your first paragraph was on point though. Build immediate traffic, gain referrals.