Twitter + Amex introduce "pay with a tweet"

mpbiz

Apr 29, 2010
The announcement that Twitter now offers a fully integrated payments service on its platform via American Express doesn’t come as a real surprise. The logical extension of both companies’ existing collaboration just makes sense, and is in fact good news.

The US card mogul started integrating with major social networks a while ago, including Facebook and Twitter. Amex’ Twitter Sync already allows customers to be eligible for discount deals when they tweet special offer #hashtags. To enable that service, users have to connect their Twitter account to their Amex credit card account.

Now, American Express has taken this one step further so that Twitter users can also make a direct payment. When Twitter users tweet a purchase hashtag, they receive a response from @AmexSync with a confirmation hashtag, which they need to retweet within 15 minutes of receiving it to confirm the purchase.

The card company then sends details to the merchant who ships the product to the account billing address synced with Twitter. Payment is taken from the synced Amex account.
Here's the youtube demo: Amex Sync On Twitter - American Express - YouTube

Very basic and limited right now but I think we all know where this is headed.

This is almost as retarded as Twitter itself.

On the surface yes but I see potential for this in mobile ecommerce. If I'm on my cell phone/tablet I'd much rather pay by tweeting/re-tweeting something than having to thumb through 4 different pages and entering my shipping/billing info. Anything that reduces the friction required to make a purchase is good for everyone.

If your wife or girlfriend has an amex card, better take that shit away before it's too late...

When Facebook launch pay with Facebook and sync your credit cards to your fb account, it's game over for PayPal and basically license to print money for fb.

I don't believe that fb haven't thought of this, maybe it'll take 5 yrs but It will be huge.

I see 0 possibility that this could go wrong. I mean no one has ever had their twitter account hacked right?

Payment and social media shouldn't be together.

Payment and social media shouldn't be together.

Payment and social media WILL be together. It's inevitable for a plethora of reasons. Within 5 years VISA/MC/Amex will all have a version of this, probably using universal hashtags or some variant, with large retailers on board and for security your phone will require a biometric app to authenticate prior to purchase.

Just text #GiantDildo, then scan your eye, and you're done.

I think this is a really terrible idea. It will make it so much easier to get taken advantage of/robbed/hacked. Also, it's already easier for me to spend more money on my card than it is with cash. How much will you think about money if you just have to tweet it instead of using some sort of currency.

I see 0 possibility that this could go wrong. I mean no one has ever had their twitter account hacked right?

I think this is a really terrible idea. It will make it so much easier to get taken advantage of/robbed/hacked. Also, it's already easier for me to spend more money on my card than it is with cash. How much will you think about money if you just have to tweet it instead of using some sort of currency.

It appears all the account approval stuff is done through Amex, and then the information is shared then with Twitter; Twitter would actually never gets the account information.

Because inputting all of your payment information into your phone everytime you want to buy something online is a pain in the cock.

why would i want to pay by tweet?
I believe you don't actually pay with the tweet, you simply get a discount. You would tweet the promo that Amex releases (ex. #buyproduct) and then when you shop for the product you will receive the discount/promo.