Turning Junk Sites Into Profit Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 21, 2006
New York City
It's all about site flipping boys and girls..

Taking crappy, no cashflow sites and turning them into gems and winners. You can either keep it for yourself, or flip it on the open marketplace. Either way, the turnaround and profit is pretty substantial, and if you take what you learn, apply it, and then create your own system (just like with anything else) and replicate it on a much larger and broader scale, hell, you can start a career out of this.

I made a blog post about it, and it's been getting a lot of reads. Here's a quick mid-section excerpt:

You start looking for a distressed website property on a site like bizmp.com. I recommend using bizmp.com because instead of checking a bunch of different boards, it checks all of them at once for you, and lists the websites (properties) for sale with a little bit of extra information to boot and help you out. So you’re looking for a distressed property here, not something that will cost a boat load and will take a year to become profitable. You want something that has lots of potential, but the owners are either too lazy or just don’t have the time, patience, or best yet, know how to monetize it. When you finally pick something out that you like, you have two choices before you begin. Do you want to keep this site and add it to your arsenal of already profitable sites, or do you want to flip it in a month or two for some more cash? That choice is entirely up to you, but let’s pretend you chose flip it.

So how do we take a say, $500 site and turn it into a $3000 site? Well, we need three major parts to work out to make it more appealing to potential buyers.

The design. Is it too crappy to look at? Do you need to change it around? Chances are pretty good that you will need to make some alterations. Whether you should redo the whole thing is again, up to your taste and budget. Remember, you already spent $500 on this, and your goal is $3k, so you don’t want to go overboard with unnecessary beautification operations. Let the new buyers handle that. Make your site as physically appealing as possible, in the most minimal and cheapest way. All you have to do is stress the goal of the site with a little more than basic design.

Read the rest of it over here - Internet Real Estate - Website Flipping

:food-smiley-010:

Indeed cool article on your blog!
What would be good places to sell your sites? Forums I guess... or there are other places as well? Thanks

Michel Z. said:
Indeed cool article on your blog!
What would be good places to sell your sites? Forums I guess... or there are other places as well? Thanks

SPF and DP get a lot of views and serious bidders.

Id like to ask that too, where would you reccomend selling sites?

EDIT: Answered as i posted

Don't forget DNForum.com. That's the place where I've made my biggest sales. Though you need a paid account to make a sale but it is very well worth it.

Jon said:
Yeah, I would never give Peter T Davis anything except for a swift kick in the ass.
BTW Is it just me or more replies have been deleted in that sales thread than any other thread in SPF marketplace history? :p

Can you provide a couple examples of sites that have been flipped (preferably w/ a before and after comparison)?

Ebay used to be a good place as we used to sell websites that sold fax marketing products. However, we quickly flipped 8-10 of them for around $2,000 - $5,000 a piece and next thing you know the average price of our fax databases (which I do not sell anymore as fax spammers are scum bags) dropped from $119 each to $9.99 within a matter of weeks. So we ruined an entire industry for around 6-12 months. Once the databases that came with the sites, were no longer up to date, everything leveled off.

However, now because Ebay is so saturated with crappy sites that are virtually worthless, it's hard to truely express value.

1 Tip though for selling on ebay. Make sure you spend loot on the auction. We featured it on their home page and used every upsell feature they have to get the auction traffic. I think it cost us around $120 or so per auction, but they sold for over $2000 in all cases so it worked out.

Jon said:
Yeah, I would never give Peter T Davis anything except for a swift kick in the ass.

I clicked on his blog today, and his first post just made me want to beat him to death with a dead fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.