Transfer sites between hosts

Status
Not open for further replies.

janwonders

...a lot to learn
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I have hosting with Hostgator, WiredTree, Virpus and 1&1 - I have still got so much to learn and am really not making good use of these host packages. The one I like least is 1&1 because it costs the most and offers very little, but the problem is I have been with it the longest and have my most established sites on this host.

I really want to transfer all the sites & domains from 1&1 to hostgator - is this a complicated process or straightforward? What's the best way for me to do this?

Thanks for your help

Assuming you have the Baby plan or higher it's pretty easy.

Go into your cpanel for a site you already have hosted on HostGator and click the add-on domain option. Enter one of the domains you want to transfer.

They will create a new folder in your public_html folder that looks something like this - public_html/www.example.com. Upload all files from your 1&1 site into this new folder.

Then go to your domain registrar and point that domains DNS to the hostgator DNS you have on your original hostgator domain - i.e. DNS53.HOSTGATOR.COM and DNS54.HOSTGATOR.COM.

Once DNS gets resolved you'll see your new site being loaded from hostgator.

It's really straightforward.

That's great, thanks very much. I do have some domains registered with 1&1 but most are registered with Namecheap.

Once I have transferred everything and the site is being hosted by hostgator, will it be safe to cancel my 1&1 account completely? What happens to the domains I have registered with 1&1 if I cancel the account?

you'll need to transfer the domains as well from 1and1 to namecheap.

the info that BradleyT2p2 gave transfers all your sites to hostgator and tells 1and1 and namecheap where to go to to find the sites (when you update the nameserver details).

you can find out how to transfer the remaining domains from 1and1 to namecheap here:Namecheap.com - Domain Name Transfer - Transfer your domains to us is easy

if you need help send me a pm, i'd be glad to help you out :)

Just a quick bit of advice: Keep your hosting services and domain registrars separate - trust me. If something goes south at your host (and it can), you won't have to worry about your domains. Just toss your sites up on a different host and change the DNS from your registrar.

Example, your domains are all registered at namecheap, moniker and godaddy. All your sites are hosted at hostgator, lunarpages and bluehost.

My personal preferences for shared hosting are hostgator and sharkspace (thanks to jizzlobber for suggesting sharkspace a while back). For domains, namecheap and moniker.

Also, 1&1 and Hostgator's registration services suck balls. Just FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.