Tracking a stolen Samsung SIII?

nickCR

Feb 5, 2010
CR
So I was at a hotel over the weekend and the fucking cleaning lady(s) stole my phone (admittedly I forgot it in the room), but it never appeared after that (I called about 2 hrs after, once I realized I didn't have it with me).

I had the findmyphone app from Samsung and I even tried to push the "androidlost" app and remotely register. Neither app is sending me anything :(

The phone had full signal in the room and wifi as well all over the hotel so whoever too it turned it off. I'm going to go to my service provider and have them lock that IMEI but is there anything else I can do that I haven't already?

on an android huh.

Try Plan B. Lets you upload it to your phone after your phones already missing

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lookout.labs.planb&hl=en

Thanks bud, PlanB is only available up to Android OS 2.2. I was running the most recent version of Android :(

Thanks for the answers though. The local investigators will go talk to the two ladies that cleaned the room. Not many people ever actually press charges on hotels, so now that I did the local office will take action.

This happened at the Tango Mar hotel in Tambor, Puntarenas, Costa Rica.

Not worried about the data. I didn't keep much on the phone. I just changed evernote and a few other passwords to make sure they can't access those apps. Also my phone had a combination to unlock it, which they won't be able to do.

Everything I do is cloud based in one way or another.
IMAP accounts, Exchange for calendar... etc.

This happened at the Tango Mar hotel in Tambor, Puntarenas, Costa Rica.

Not worried about the data. I didn't keep much on the phone. I just changed evernote and a few other passwords to make sure they can't access those apps. Also my phone had a combination to unlock it, which they won't be able to do.

Everything I do is cloud based in one way or another.
IMAP accounts, Exchange for calendar... etc.

Why would they care about unlocking your phone when they can siphon all the data, cookies, browsing, emails by plugging it into a computer?

Unless your data was encrypted, the lock screen won't do anything to protect it.

I second Prey as my security software on my SGSIII.

Dude your talking about a person that doesn't make $300 a month. They don't have a computer at home. They are going to sell it. The person who buys it wants nothing to do with the data or the chip since it might track them or so they may think.

Only 5 days of emails are on the phone. Nothing else they could really get. Photos maybe.

Why would they care about unlocking your phone when they can siphon all the data, cookies, browsing, emails by plugging it into a computer?

Unless your data was encrypted, the lock screen won't do anything to protect it.

I second Prey as my security software on my SGSIII.

lol dude I highly doubt whoever stole it even knows how to check their email (or even has email?).

Short answer: You can't really do shit.

Slightly longer answer: As you said, phone up the network and get them to block up the phone. Also, phone the hotel's nearby police department, report it, so if it gets found at any point for any reason, they can let you know.

Also, there are two other options. Pick one, depending on how much you want revenge.

Option 1 (don't want revenge that much). Phone up the hotel, tell them they have a maid who steals, and that it's bad publicity for them. Suggest they place a phone in a room before she cleans it, then inspect immediately afterwards. If it's gone, boom, fired.

Option 2. (If you really want revenge) Book another night at the hotel, buy a phone, install prey. Leave it in the room, keep watch from somewhere outside the room that you can't be seen. If you want extra proof, keep a spy pen or similar in the room. When she finishes her maid duties, ring the phone/use prey (in front of her manager for bonus points) - if she's turned it off, simply confront her. Present video of her stealing it (on pen camera) if you used the camera.

EDIT: Read your replies, the investigators may help, or they may do fuck all. Depends.