To anyone smarter than me - can't access sites locally

RockDiesel

Nov 29, 2007
So yesterday I was working on my sites all day, and then right before I went to bed I stopped being able to access my sites. Since I was tired I told myself I would get to it in the morning.

I go to bed, wake up this morning, and everything is fine, I can access my sites again.

Then, a few hours laters, I can't access my sites again, but everyone I send the link to can access it fine. I can only access them through a proxy.

Really the only thing I found that explained what might be going on is that there is a problem with my ISP's caching system

I reset the router and I power cycled the cable modem, but to no avail.

This happen to anyone before? Any clue on a solution?

You could try one of the following:

- Change your DNS servers to OpenDNS (your local DNS, not your sites')

- Add the sites' IP addresses to your hosts file so you'll always be able to reach them

yup sounds like maybe you mistyped your log in details a couple times and you were put on your server firewall deny/block list... you got it fixed -- good one... cause it sucks when that happens

- Add the sites' IP addresses to your hosts file so you'll always be able to reach them
Bad idea - you'll never know if your DNS isn't working, then.

Switch your computer's DNS servers to 4.2.2.2 and 8.8.8.8 so you won't be reliant on your ISP's DNS.

ugh, this is happening to me right now and has happened a few times in the past.

I have tried the host file and the google dns. I can't even access the server through ip.

This is most likely because of failed login attempts and the server bans you? Just sent in a ticket to my host to see if my ip is on the firewall or something.

ah, my webhost fixed it and my ip was on the firewall. this is so annoying.

Bad idea - you'll never know if your DNS isn't working, then.

Switch your computer's DNS servers to 4.2.2.2 and 8.8.8.8 so you won't be reliant on your ISP's DNS.

are those similar to OpenDNS servers?

btw, i tried OpenDNS and it did nothing to solve my problem. The only thing that worked was adding the sites to my host file.