time machine for windows?

Mike Panic

Jul 22, 2009
PA
www.mikepanic.com
Anyone use a snapshot style backup solution on Windows (xp / vista) that is similar to Time Machine on Mac? Ideally, I'd like it to backup to a network share, not a USB drive too.

Oh in that case,
1.get another HD (Western Digital)
2.Copy of Norton Ghost (Used this software hundreds of times without any problem...ever.
3.Fire proof safe

Rinse & Repeat monthly.

Oh in that case,
1.get another HD (Western Digital)
2.Copy of Norton Ghost (Used this software hundreds of times without any problem...ever.
3.Fire proof safe

Rinse & Repeat monthly.

Did you even bother to read what it is I'm looking for? I'm looking for a snapshot based backup solution over a network. I have ghost, ghost needs to be run on a regular basis, I want something that does everything on it's own.

This is now what I'm looking into: rsnapshot

I've been using Acronis for the past 2 years doing image backups w/daily incremental's and I've restored back to the previous day on several occasions without any issues. The only other tool probably worth looking at is Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery 8.5 which does snapshots on specified intervals. I really liked the Symantec tool but it's only limitation was backups were to disk, no tape.

You can try to use the windows based snapshot tool.
Don't know how to change settings for it, but it takes snapshots.

I object to this thread title. I came rushing in here thinking you discovered the secrets of time travel through Dilithium Crystals like Napolean Dynamite.

I object to this thread title. I came rushing in here thinking you discovered the secrets of time travel through Dilithium Crystals like Napolean Dynamite.
^^^^ I concur!!

I'm watching "Visions of the Future" on SciFi channel right now and peeked over during a commercial and saw the Time Travel title and wanted to see this WONDROUS thing that Microsoft had accomplished.

Then I find out that it is just someone wanting to take snapshots with a windows based program. DAMN!!

LOL

Acronis TrueImage or Symantec Ghost. I prefer TrueImage a bit more, but currently use Ghost since I haven't gotten around to installing the latest version of TrueImage.

Does anyone know of a better version of time machine for mac? like one that compresses and encrypts files?

Acronis gets my vote, it just works. I use it to back up one of my servers. Nothing on Windows compares to the ease of use of Time Machine though.