Tier 2 crash?

phixx

Jul 4, 2007
Anybody seen their rankings go down when they start doing some normal tier 2 linkbuilding (wikis, social bookmarking, etc.)?

Here is my timeline:
4 weeks ago: I started 4 new sites, so I could go for some moderately easy keywords.
3 weeks ago: Started doing some tier 1 linkbuilding (~50 web 2.0 sites/new site, spun content).
1 week ago: Rankings have increased, I'm in the top 10 for a few keywords and in the top 30 for many more keywords. I start doing some tier 2 linkbuilding (wikis, social bookmarking, etc.)
This week: All my rankings are gone, I'm no longer in the top 100 for anything.

I haven't done any linkbuilding besides the stuff above - and my rankings are gone for all the sites :(

The tier 1 links all have different anchor texts and the tier 2 links all have random anchor texts.

Exact same here, just got most of my sites slapped out of the serps today. The ones that are left have been the ones I haven't done any linkbuilding to in the past month or two. Hopefully it comes back, I have had shit like this happen before but it's never been so consistent across all my sites.

Don't get too discouraged yet. I have a site, super tough keyword, dipped around a recent penguin refresh but I brought it back ... What did I do that I think you guys failed to do? Kept building links...

lUpGK.png

Have another set of sites that I have kept building links to (around 20 links/week) and some of them also disappeared from the serps this week :(

Now I wonder if people are ony seeing this for new sites or also for some of their older sites? (the sites that have been affected here arre all relatively new. Most of my old sites died in the penguin massacre)

Have another set of sites that I have kept building links to (around 20 links/week) and some of them also disappeared from the serps this week :(

Now I wonder if people are ony seeing this for new sites or also for some of their older sites? (the sites that have been affected here arre all relatively new. Most of my old sites died in the penguin massacre)

You have to really diversify, doing web 2.0, wikis, and bookmarks is basically putting a bullseye on your site for all of these lovely google changes.

You have to really diversify, doing web 2.0, wikis, and bookmarks is basically putting a bullseye on your site for all of these lovely google changes.

This. You need authoritative links...

All affected sites around 30-40 days old.

...especially on young sites. Get your trust on, you been filtered. Think about legit real world businesses and where they'd get links.

Only web 2.0 to the sites (tier 1), wikis and bookmarks are tier 2.

Phixx, I should also mention that my site in the screenshot is a brand new domain. You can bring it back, keep working on and follow Grinds advice as well.

This. You need authoritative links...

...especially on young sites. Get your trust on, you been filtered. Think about legit real world businesses and where they'd get links.

Any hope for the sites or should I just abandon them?

Concerning my linkbuilding: I target some easy/moderately easy keywords and I can find quite a few casestories where people rank with tier 1 web 2.0s and tier 2 wikis/social bookmarks.

So why don't my sites rank if other people can rank sites that way? Especially since we are talking easy keywords.

Phixx, I should also mention that my site in the screenshot is a brand new domain. You can bring it back, keep working on and follow Grinds advice as well.

How old is the site? And what kind of links have you build?

Intersting thing for me is one of my more valuable sites had over 20 high quality contextual links from authority sites which I built over the span of a month. After it got first page I went ahead with the 2.0s, wikis, bookmarks. I have to admit I did also blast it directly with these in addition to doing tiered linking because I felt that it couldn't hurt the sites, and I still feel the direct blasting can't be responsible as I did this for less than half the sites currently affected.

I can find quite a few casestories where people rank with tier 1 web 2.0s and tier 2 wikis/social bookmarks.

So why don't my sites rank if other people can rank sites that way? Especially since we are talking easy keywords.

Correlation does not imply causation in SEO, everyone has a different experience, my opinion. They probably mixed in other signals. Just keep building links, you will bring it back. Also start adding more content and build other sites too. That's what I would do. Ok logging out. Good luck

Have you tried out guest posting? You can find a host of them in the BST. That should help you build a more solid foundation of trust. From there you can build a stronger tier 2 foundation.