Thinking of selling, need help on website evaluation

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockDiesel

Nov 29, 2007
I guess this is the best forum to post this in, but if it needs to be moved then feel free to move it.

I am really thinking about selling one of my websites to get some money to throw at a big project. The site I want to sell deals with a kids niche and is a wordpress site. I am looking for evaluation of the stats and hope to get some opinions on an approximate value of the website. I am also looking for tips on how to run a smooth sale and complete a smooth transaction. If I decide to sell, I will probably list at Sitepoint because that seems to be the marketplace of choice for websites. However, I have heard of a lot of bidders over there that decide not to pay after the auction.

Anyways, on to some stats.

Earnings are from Ebay Partner Network and Google Adsense (that's right, Adsense bitches). I have tried other monetization, but was never really successful.

August - $262
September - $315
October - $858
November - $453
December - $1,153

The site is older than August, but the numbers were pretty insignificant.

Monthly Traffic breakdown according to WP-Stats

August - 48,779 / 1,574 daily average
September - 46,260 / 1, 542 daily average
October - 107,185 / 3,458 daily average
November - 59,790 / 1,993 daily average
December - 142,458 / 4,595 daily average

Monthly Traffic breakdown according to Google Analytics

August - 16,293 / 525 daily average
September - 17,491 / 583 daily average
October - 41,646 / 1,343 daily average
November - 25,194 / 839 daily average
December - 66,040 / 2,130 daily average

Why such a discrepancy between the WP-stats and Analytics?

Ummmm, some other stats that may, or may not, affect the value:
Backlinks (according to Yahoo site explorer) = approx. 29,000
PR = 4
Alexa = approx. 255,000
Domain name = 12 total characters (2 words with a hyphen).

The time required to update the site is about 15 minutes a day which includes looking at other sites in my niche to find the latest info. Then, post that info in a blog post that usually is anywhere from 25-100 words.

Any opinions on a value range? Need more stats? Are there enough stats for a successful sale or should I give it a few more months?

my advice would be to keep it... here's why... at 15 minutes a day, you're spending roughly 7.5 hours a month on it. in december you made $1,153, that works out to about $153 per hour...

based on the $3K you earned in the past 5 months, if you sold for 12 months projected revenue you'd only get about $6-8K... you could probably make more money if you just kept it for the next year and kept building on it... unless you can find somebody to buy it for a crazy high multiple...

my advice would be to keep it... here's why... at 15 minutes a day, you're spending roughly 7.5 hours a month on it. in december you made $1,153, that works out to about $153 per hour...

based on the $3K you earned in the past 5 months, if you sold for 12 months projected revenue you'd only get about $6-8K... you could probably make more money if you just kept it for the next year and kept building on it... unless you can find somebody to buy it for a crazy high multiple...

Yeah, I am getting that vibe too. Thanks for the input.

I feel like I should be making more money with the traffic I get too. I need to test another monetization method maybe. I tried some submit banners. However, just got a lot clickthroughs with not much to show for it.

If you decide to sell, then Sitepoint is your best bet. Assuming the revenue spike in December wasn't a season spike, I'd try selling for December's revenue x 12 with a 'buy it price' now of December revenue x 16. Start your bidding low around $4 - 5k.

Yes sometimes SP buyers don't pay but you'll get a good amount of interest from serious buyers. Be sure to communicate with them prior to closing the auction and most serious buyers will PM you first asking for analytics access and other questions.

Your sitewide eCPM is around $17 which is really great for Adsense. I assume a good chunk of that must come from ebay but either way it's a good stat to have.

damn good advice, I would leave it 3 months and see if that upwards climb continues, sell it when it levels out - 3 months @ higher income can mean selling it for a lot more
+ rep for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.