The Planet | Majory issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby

Perl Monkey
Jan 5, 2007
Check out

Maintenance at The Planet

holy fuck! thats one the largest datacenters in north america.

More info at H1 Data Center Offline - Status Updates Available Here - The Planet Forums

They had an explosion that knocked down 3 walls!

From Doug Erwin:
This evening at 4:55pm CDT in our H1 data center, electrical gear shorted, creating an explosion and fire that knocked down three walls surrounding our electrical equipment room. Thankfully, no one was injured. In addition, no customer servers were damaged or lost.

We have just been allowed into the building to physically inspect the damage. Early indications are that the short was in a high-volume wire conduit. We were not allowed to activate our backup generator plan based on instructions from the fire department.

This is a significant outage, impacting approximately 9,000 servers and 7,500 customers. All members of our support team are in, and all vendors who supply us with data center equipment are on site. Our initial assessment, although early, points to being able to have some service restored by mid-afternoon on Sunday. Rest assured we are working around the clock.

We are in the process of communicating with all affected customers. we are planning to post updates every hour via our forum and in our customer portal. Our interactive voice response system is updating customers as well.

There is no impact in any of our other five data centers.

I have been using them for 2 weeks now. I just moved there because of bad service at another company. My sites have been down since Sat. because of this mess, but this morning seems to be working fine.

I host all my stuff at webair.com, if I have a problem, I can get a hold of the managers, because I've been with them so long, the ones that we're just starting out are now the managers and their contact info never changed

I host all my stuff at webair.com, if I have a problem, I can get a hold of the managers, because I've been with them so long, the ones that we're just starting out are now the managers and their contact info never changed

While that is nice, I don't think getting in touch with the managers would help you much if a transformer exploded and blew out three walls haha

webair sucks... they don't secure their boxes properly, as I've personally know half a dozen people that have either been hacked or had major security issues on fully managed webair boxes...

in fact I've know of one ex-webair employee that had similar security issues... so, you know it's pretty damn bad when their employee's own hosting accounts are having spyware iframes inserted on their personal sites for months and they can't fix em...

I will say they do have a strong reputation management team in place on the adult boards at least, lol... always 5 or 10 webair ass kissers in any thread about them on gfy... bleh...

webair sucks... they don't secure their boxes properly, as I've personally know half a dozen people that have either been hacked or had major security issues on fully managed webair boxes...

in fact I've know of one ex-webair employee that had similar security issues... so, you know it's pretty damn bad when their employee's own hosting accounts are having spyware iframes inserted on their personal sites for months and they can't fix em...

I will say they do have a strong reputation management team in place on the adult boards at least, lol... always 5 or 10 webair ass kissers in any thread about them on gfy... bleh...
Most of the problems people have with webair is with virtual plans that they are over using them like they are dedicated boxes. If your going to move some traffic and use some big scripts, then you need to have a dedicated box. As for ex-employee's, he was probably the security issue.

Most of the problems people have with webair is with virtual plans that they are over using them like they are dedicated boxes. If your going to move some traffic and use some big scripts, then you need to have a dedicated box. As for ex-employee's, he was probably the security issue.

bro, you have no idea what you're talk about...

this is a widespread security issue regarding webair's boxes... it has NOTHING to do with traffic or 'big scripts', it's a flaw in how they manage their server security...

one guy I know that had a dedicated box with webair... had a minor issue that caused him to burn an excessive amount of bandwidth... webair couldn't fix the problem in over a week trying... he moved to a competent host and they had it fixed within an hour...

btw, Vend... since you're in the biz, you know who the ex-employee is... I don't want to state who it is, since it's not my place to disclose that info... but that person is widely respected within the biz was definitely not the problem...

Yeah I know about who you're talking a bout, and I've heard about the issues, most all hosts had that happen, in the last year, I haven't had a single problem with them, only contacted them once because the interface for removing a main folder didn't work right and they had to remove it. I've been attacked like any one else and they fixed the issue that day and with no loss of traffic, which with TGP's is critical. One thing I do love about webiar is I make some extra coin setting up tgp's for customers, if it's on a webair account, it always goes easier

Yeah I know about who you're talking a bout, and I've heard about the issues, most all hosts had that happen, in the last year, I haven't had a single problem with them, only contacted them once because the interface for removing a main folder didn't work right and they had to remove it. I've been attacked like any one else and they fixed the issue that day and with no loss of traffic, which with TGP's is critical. One thing I do love about webiar is I make some extra coin setting up tgp's for customers, if it's on a webair account, it always goes easier

it's great that you haven't had any major problems yet... unfortunately, I hate to see other people get burned when they could have avoided it by hosting elsewhere...

btw, speaking of crappy hosts it's super easy to do a comus install on dreamhost too... I've done a shitload of comus installs myself... done some installs and setups for my friends for free... even made a video tutorial guide for one of my peeps showing how to do a complete comus install and template mods in less than 20 minutes...

I never charged anybody a dime for that stuff...

it's great that you haven't had any major problems yet... unfortunately, I hate to see other people get burned when they could have avoided it by hosting elsewhere...

btw, speaking of crappy hosts it's super easy to do a comus install on dreamhost too... I've done a shitload of comus installs myself... done some installs and setups for my friends for free... even made a video tutorial guide for one of my peeps showing how to do a complete comus install and template mods in less than 20 minutes...

I never charged anybody a dime for that stuff...
For friends it's free, for others I charge, and I've done a couple on Dreamhost, they were easy too

ThePlanet is a company and they have several datacenters. I thought they were up to 5 in Texas. Last I heard everything was back up and running one way or another.

I want to see pix of the explosion area.

Status
Not open for further replies.