The Official Theme Park Aficionado Thread

Human

X
Nov 24, 2009
This is a thread for theme park aficionados... hence the threat title. I was hoping that I wasn't the only one who loves the feel of a theme park (minus all the overpriced crap).

Living two hours away from Atlanta, I bought a season pass for Six Flags Over Georgia for $50 a few weeks ago, and took my first trip of the season. I actually surprised myself by getting on all of the rides that day, including Goliath (200 foot drop), and Mind Bender (two loops and no shoulder restraint), as well as Batman (inverted), Superman (facefirst), Ninja (jerked around the entire ride, seven inversions), and the Great American Scream Machine (at one point the tallest coaster in the world, now the most painful).

My girlfriend and I are planning on going to Orlando this summer to do some beach hopping, and are planning on checking out Universal Orlando for a few days, when we came across this awesome deal:

$325.87 per person includes the following:

Four nights at the Holiday Inn at the Entrance to Universal (been there before, comparable to the Wingate, not bad at all) = Typically $250 per person.

CityWalk Party Pass = Typically $20 per person.

Commemorative ticket (something about Harry Potter land).

Early Park Admission to Islands Of Adventure = Typically $20 per person.

Scheduled Theme Park Transportation (buses and some ferries I believe) = Typically $30 per person for stay length.

Three Broomsticks Breakfast = Typically $30 per person.

3-day Base Ticket (2-park) = Typically $130 per person.

Total typical = $470 per person.
Now: $325 per person.
Savings: $145 per person x 2 people = $290 total saved. Not bad.

Anyone else interested in some Universal action this summer? We could make a meetup out of it or something haha.

Also, what other parks do you love to frequent, and what do you recommend for attractions and such?

I was at a microsoft conference where they rented out all of Universal for the "private party". It was ok but I like amusement parts like Cedar Point much more. For me Rides > Attractions.

King's Island was basically in my backyard. Home to The Beast, the longest wooden roller coaster in the world.

I think it took me like 5 minutes to get there from my driveway to parking lot. We would get season passes and go every now and then. Don't live there anymore though.

Also been to Cedar Point and Disney World. Cedar Point is legit.

Being only a couple hours away from Cedar Point, I usually try to go at least once a year.
Also, Kalahari is an awesome indoor water park.

I've also been to Universal Studios (the regular park and Islands of Adventure), my favs were the Spider-man ride, Back to the Future (do they even have this anymore?), and the Jaws ride.

Kings Island is great. Haven't been since the two new coasters opened up, but Flight of Fear and Top Gun are great.

If you travel around to amusement parks for fun, have you considered joining ACE?

I can't stand roller coasters. I feel that I am old enough now that I don't have to succumb to peer pressure and can comfortably wait grumpily at the exit if my friends want to go on.

I worked at Disneyland for a couple years. Loved it more than any other job I ever had. I've often thought about going back to work weekends or something...just for the hell of it. Maybe when I retire.

If you've ever been to Cedar Point and riden this...

dragster.jpg

Nuff Said.

Imo, Busch Gardens > Islands of Adventure purely on rides. But the Islands of Adventure park is very well done.

Shame Disney bought Marvel.

Imo, Busch Gardens > Islands of Adventure purely on rides. But the Islands of Adventure park is very well done.

Shame Disney bought Marvel.

Yep - if you don't mind making the drive to Tampa I'd agree. Human, you said you wanted to do the whole beach thing too right? If you hit Busch Gardens you have St. Pete Beach, Clearwater etc right there. I think the gulf coast beaches are waaay better than the ones on the Atlantic side in central FL (daytona, new smyrna, cocoa etc).

Edit> And ya, Disney buying Marvel blows. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Best option in America imo isCedar Point during the week to avoid epic >2 hours lines. Must ride: Top Thrill Dragster (pic above) in the front row. SICK.

0-120 mph in 4 seconds. Nuff said.

I haven't been to a Theme Park in a while. Houston lost our Six Flags when we got the Texans... pretty poor trade off in my opinion.