The iAd's - Amazing

olesh999

Feb 8, 2008
Austin, TX
Just got an email from a friend and I'm pretty blwon away from what I saw.

It looks like the future (hopefully a self serve platform) for mobile advertising is coming. And thank Go-d is not google who is working on this. Apple is working on a new project called "iAd".

See the youtube video and share your taughts (not a dickroll):

YouTube - Apple's iAd

MSN have been doing this in the messenger for years. Apple are taking an idea which hundreds of desktop apps already use and adapting it for thier iphone.

Interesting but not amazing.

Pretty well presented but these interactive ads can also be shown on a comp...

I agree but the level of interaction that people have on app/cellphones its completely different than the ones on the computer.

take ad blindness for example....

with the iAd you are providing value to you demos/visitors... not just a banner add.

amazing? lol

yes amazing cakes. to me it is, the freedom we will get to interact with users on our advertisements is amazing... at least to me it is. it opens tons of space and new ideas on how to market to people on one of their most personal belongings....

from your blog cakes, and I quote "last year’s party with strippers wrestling in a pool of Acai jello was one of the greatest experiences of your life"

really? cakes if thats one of your greatest experiences of your life you should find "iAd" amazing partner....

greatest experiences of your life? lol ...

Reactions: evelynds
Those ads are really similar to interactive ads we used to write for subscription TV platforms. Except we wrote them in crappy OpenTV's SDK (in C), which took forever and noone clicked them in their TVs, especially when they found out how slow a set top box was at loading them.. and a few other reasons. Oh, and for the back channel... they had to plug in a telephone line into the set top. Yeah, those TMail (thats TV mail - another app we wrote) users were really on fire with that one. All 8 of them in Australia.

Anyway, it looks like the interactive ad's time has finally come up. Just not on the television.

I agree but the level of interaction that people have on app/cellphones its completely different than the ones on the computer.

take ad blindness for example....

with the iAd you are providing value to you demos/visitors... not just a banner add.

But ad blindness will develop on the iphone also. Because it has never been seen before that's why it stands out. Unless you force the viewer to view it via interruption (tv, video ads, ppv) ad blindness will happen.

Brand advertisers ain't slinging boring banners of "how i lost 40 lbs in 3 secs with the magical berry".

Even as a guy in the same business, I can't help but to glance at those animated ads from the big advertisers.

Those ads are really similar to interactive ads we used to write for subscription TV platforms. Except we wrote them in crappy OpenTV's SDK (in C), which took forever and noone clicked them in their TVs, especially when they found out how slow a set top box was at loading them.. and a few other reasons. Oh, and for the back channel... they had to plug in a telephone line into the set top. Yeah, those TMail (thats TV mail - another app we wrote) users were really on fire with that one. All 8 of them in Australia.

Anyway, it looks like the interactive ad's time has finally come up. Just not on the television.

You mean on foxtel?

I remembered they had to show a short vid to tell the viewer to "hit the red button after this to find out bla bla bla".

They kinda died out in a few months. Don't see it these says.

You mean on foxtel?

I remembered they had to show a short vid to tell the viewer to "hit the red button after this to find out bla bla bla".

They kinda died out in a few months. Don't see it these says.

Actually on Austar :) And also for Sky in New Zealand.

But yeah, same thing as what Foxtel had/have. Can't remember if they also use OpenTV, but we shared some of the same apps at least as far as the design went (eg the local news app on Skynews channel).

Austar still run the video on how to use the apps on their info channel. Some of the apps actually do ok and are still running, but the interactive ads really tanked. Some actually synced with real TV ads and you could enter a competition or something by launching the app. Noone bothered though.

apple would be smart to give away free 3g for the ipad and recoup that with advertising sales. They would have sold double the amount of ipads

If apple is so damn strict about what apps go into their app store - don't ya think they'd probably be pretty strict about the type of advertising that's displayed? Then again they probably wouldn't come out with tight ass guidelines until like at least a month after launching.

Edit: Just watched video - and I'm blown away. Shit just got real.