Textbroker clone

happy-face.jpg

Well, there are certainly projects that are more complex, but cloning textbroker doesn't seem trivial to me. The big trouble with it is that there's so many disparate parts. I can find open source examples for the various parts, but nothing where it all fits together.

For example, you need:
- Very strong document workflows, approvals, rejections back to the queue, and publish to buyer

- Ecommerce shopping cart with relatively complex product modifiers to accommodate scaled pricing for article length, writer skill level, etc. Other non-standard things, like ability to "bank" funds, and not just taking money, but paying out to writers as well.

- A strong, tiered role management structure. (writers, editors, buyers, etc). Needs to be relatively sophisticated to, for example, properly put open writing opportunities only to those writers that are qualified and match the buyer's request.

- Some sort of priority queuing that ensures that, for example, a buyer's request for something that's not "appealing" to writers still gets assigned and written. This would mean, for example, hiding juicier assignments until the stagnant requests are picked up.

- Performance management that reliably takes editor and writer feedback to promote (or demote) writers through the various 1/2/3/4 star tiers.

- A PM system that's very selective about who can PM who, in what situations, and what's in the message. Why? The buyers and writers are very incented to jump out and deal directly, for example. There's also several good reasons to isolate the writers from one another.

- Many more requirements I've missed..just making the point that the devil is in the details.

To keep it from being a never-ending project, I'd try to find something to bootstrap from that already has at least some of these capabilities. Drupal, for example, has at least a foundation for several of these. Or, perhaps even wordpress augmented with plugins like editflow.org.

Aside from the technical hurdles, there's a chicken-and-egg issue as well. Hard to attract writers if you have no buyers, and vice-versa. I'd be tempted to make a sort of transparent, under-the-covers bridge where the assignments go to textbroker until you've built up a strong buyer following.

Well, there are certainly projects that are more complex, but cloning textbroker doesn't seem trivial to me. The big trouble with it is that there's so many disparate parts. I can find open source examples for the various parts, but nothing where it all fits together.

For example, you need:
- Very strong document workflows, approvals, rejections back to the queue, and publish to buyer

- Ecommerce shopping cart with relatively complex product modifiers to accommodate scaled pricing for article length, writer skill level, etc. Other non-standard things, like ability to "bank" funds, and not just taking money, but paying out to writers as well.

- A strong, tiered role management structure. (writers, editors, buyers, etc). Needs to be relatively sophisticated to, for example, properly put open writing opportunities only to those writers that are qualified and match the buyer's request.

- Some sort of priority queuing that ensures that, for example, a buyer's request for something that's not "appealing" to writers still gets assigned and written. This would mean, for example, hiding juicier assignments until the stagnant requests are picked up.

- Performance management that reliably takes editor and writer feedback to promote (or demote) writers through the various 1/2/3/4 star tiers.

- A PM system that's very selective about who can PM who, in what situations, and what's in the message. Why? The buyers and writers are very incented to jump out and deal directly, for example. There's also several good reasons to isolate the writers from one another.

- Many more requirements I've missed..just making the point that the devil is in the details.

To keep it from being a never-ending project, I'd try to find something to bootstrap from that already has at least some of these capabilities. Drupal, for example, has at least a foundation for several of these. Or, perhaps even wordpress augmented with plugins like editflow.org.

Aside from the technical hurdles, there's a chicken-and-egg issue as well. Hard to attract writers if you have no buyers, and vice-versa. I'd be tempted to make a sort of transparent, under-the-covers bridge where the assignments go to textbroker until you've built up a strong buyer following.

Good summary. Although I wouldn't need the complexities of the writers end though since I want to be the sole writer submitting everything to the customer. I might look at Drupal as you suggested. Thanks.

Good summary. Although I wouldn't need the complexities of the writers end though since I want to be the sole writer submitting everything to the customer. I might look at Drupal as you suggested. Thanks.

if you're using it only for yourself, why not just use something like Basecamp?