Taxes for US citizen expats?

Earl-

Woah
Jan 1, 2011
So I know that US Citizens have to pay tax even if they live outside of the US but have a few questions regarding it. First of all, any guesstimation on how much a "normal" employee would have to pay in taxes? I mean lets say I work at McDonalds in Norway and earn like 30-40k a year or something, and pay 50% taxes to Norway, if you have to pay a lot of taxes on top of that does this not royally fuck over anyone trying to move outside of the U.S? I Assume only way to fully avoid this is to resign citizenship?

Also does anyone know if it is common for other countries (Namely European countries, me being from Norway) Practicing this?

Last but not least, and what was the reason for me starting this post, I have Dual citizenship (Norwegian and U.S)but have never lived in the U.S or paid taxes to them. If I were to move to the U.S and work /pay taxes there, would that some how register me with the IRS in some way I am not already, and make it so that even if I were to move back to Norway, I would still have to pay taxes to the U.S?

Thank you for any possible help.

Not sure I really follow you on this but I'll take a shot at it anyway.

If you work in Norway you pay taxes to Norway.
If you work in the US you pay taxes to the US.

PERIOD

Dual citizenship has nothing to do with taxes. The US can't/won't tax income outside the US if your not a resident here. I have no idea about Norway's tax laws though.

HTH

PERIOD

Dual citizenship has nothing to do with taxes. The US can't/won't tax income outside the US if your not a resident here. I have no idea about Norway's tax laws though.

HTH

wrong, if your an American and reside elsewhere, you get taxed. Where you reside doesnt matter.

Us taxes u anywhere u live. I think there is something that lets you be exempt if youre outside the usa for most of the year however.

PERIOD

HTH

As some said above.....

People from elsewhere in the world pay taxes based on their residency, but U.S. citizens are taxed by United States no matter where in the world they are living/working.

I guess nobody has any idea what would happen to me if I were to move to the states and work there for a while though, in terms of the U.S trying to tax me after leaving the country?

Moving to Norway if I can flip burgers and make $40K a year.

Just happened to stumble over a news article about this today, where it was quoted that mcdonalds employees over 20 earn about 27$ an hour which is not including the night/weekend extra they get. So pretty sure you make close to 50k flipping burgers in norway. Obv shit there is expensive too though so only really benefits us when leaving the country. :female:

PERIOD

HTH

Wow you couldn't be more wrong. If you live abroad and are a US citizen, you pay the IRS. If you plan to truly ex-pat and renounce your citizenship, you need to talk to an accountant. I believe the 10 year rule applies still for filing, but after a certain year it doesn't. It's a pain in the ass