Taking care of puppies

Hpwandrew

Sep 24, 2007
Houston Tx
I bought a boxer puppy last week. Hes 12 weeks old. This is actually my first dog i've ever had. Im having a hell of a time house training him. He took a crap inside and this is what I found in his feces

jaxworm.jpg

It appears to be a round worm. Every vet in town is closed now and tomorrow. Anyone else have any experience with their dogs and worms? I've heard horrible things about hartz products. Anyone recommend medicine,food,toys ect.?

This is jax
jax.jpg

It'd be normal for puppies of 12 weeks.
If I remember for my dog, this happens when the puppy leaves its mother milk and begin to eat solid food.
You need vet for something like de-worming therapy.

We've owned Boxers for years. I love that full black mask.

Don't panic over the worms. And don't use Hartz products. Wait until you can get him into the vet. (Take a stool sample with you.)

Boxers take a couple of years to settle, but they're highly intelligent. You are in for a helluva ride, but I wouldn't own any other breed.

ETA; this is the youngest. We have three.

buddies2.jpg

Yea, take it to the vet and get it checked out, etc...

For toys - there are these rubber things that are shaped like honeycombs - I think they are called Kong Toys...

Our Rottweiler has been playing with his for 14 years and it is still holding up...

It's not because the pup switched from Mom's milk to dry food - it's because the mother had worms while pregnant, and it passes on easily to the pups. That says a lot (none of it good) about your breeder that the pup had worms that big. The pup shouldn't have been released to a new home before three doses of dewormer, two weeks apart. At the minimum, two doses, plus instructions sent home with the owner to do the third dose.

The dewormer meds are super cheap at the vet's office, you're talking a few dollars. If you're on a budget, just ask your vet for an all around puppy dewormer, three doses, and give them to him two weeks apart. It's a simple liquid medicine, you just squirt it in the back of their throat and then hold their snout closed and pointed upward until they swallow. If he resists swallowing, you rub his throat a little, gently.

Make sure you clean any soiled areas VERY well, as some worms that effect dog species can easily infect humans just by walking barefoot over the soiled areas... you wouldn't have any idea you were infected unless a larvae settled into the cornea of your eye and you lost vision in it.

Bleach any areas that can be bleached. Keep him far away from other dogs. Also, consider giving him supplemental puppy formula for a couple of weeks, as the worms deplete his nutrition and, while he'll be ok if treated soon, it could have an effect on his growth if he hasn't been getting adequate nutrition.

(I'm the owner of three dogs, and the foster of many)

Reactions: JakeStratham
Go ahead and get in the habit of not leaving anything in the floor you don't want destroyed. You can get him a whole box of chewtoys, it doesn't matter, he'll still fuck up your shoes if he can get to them.

Also, this:
NFPpf.jpg

Go ahead and get in the habit of not leaving anything in the floor you don't want destroyed. You can get him a whole box of chewtoys, it doesn't matter, he'll still fuck up your shoes if he can get to them.

Also, this:
NFPpf.jpg

SECONDS AGO

vaGqh.jpg

boxers are something else. very smart, but never to be trusted. one time I had a couple slices of pizza that just somehow vanished into thin air when I went to go get something to drink from the kitchen.

boxers are something else. very smart, but never to be trusted. one time I had a couple slices of pizza that just somehow vanished into thin air when I went to go get something to drink from the kitchen.

Normal behavior for all breeds if you haven't addressed it with training. I hadn't and had a whole Subway footlong disappear the same way. The lab spent the night outside that night.

I had a boxer in high school. Awesome dog!
OP, vet should be able to get you fixed up.

For housetraining: You have to take them out right after they eat. Say a word like "potty" or something like that as a repeated command, and praise him when he starts to go. If he wants to play, take him inside. Watch him like a hawk, and if he starts sniffing around take him outside immediately, repeating the potty command and praising if he goes, taking inside if he doesn't.
If he has an accident, and you witness it (puppies should rarely be out of sight unless they are crated until they are housebroken) take him immediately outside (even if he's finished) and just tell him "outside". Praise him when you get him out there, and then bring him back in.

This is what I have done for 3 different dogs of different breeds, and it takes about 2-3 weeks. If you don't have a crate, get one, unless you plan to follow the puppy around everywhere waiting for an accident. Telling them "no" after they've done it has almost zero effectiveness.

I bought a boxer puppy last week. Hes 12 weeks old. This is actually my first dog i've ever had. Im having a hell of a time house training him. He took a crap inside and this is what I found in his feces

jaxworm.jpg

It appears to be a round worm. Every vet in town is closed now and tomorrow. Anyone else have any experience with their dogs and worms? I've heard horrible things about hartz products. Anyone recommend medicine,food,toys ect.?

This is jax

That just made me lol, thanks!