Switched from Mac to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesH

Jun 25, 2006
Well I switched from my MBP to my old PC and my PC happens to be a lot faster. What programs do you recommend for affiliate marketing, web dev, etc? I'm mostly looking for a good Dreamweaver replacement and FTP program. I'll run Photoshop off my MBP. And any other tips you have would be great.

Oh yea, I do daily scans with Spybot Search and Destroy, and I just installed AVG. Is that good enough for protection (along with commen sense)?

For the Dreamweaver replacement, are you looking for a WYSIWYG? Or just a place to edit code? If it's just code, Notepad++.

For FTP, I use FileZilla.

I barely ever scan (monthly at best) and I don't really have any problems. Common sense goes a long way, just don't click on retarded shit.

I like Notepad++ when I'm not dealing with SVN or servers outside my LAN because it's prety lightweight; for more involved projects I use Zend Studio (says it's for Eclipse, but mine is standalone).

For FTP, I use FireFTP (plugin for firefox.)

If you need to get to a shell, etc., WinSCP is good because it has PuTTy integration.

I switched from PC to MAC and absolutely dreaded it for business. MAC is fun for video chatting and just social interaction stuff, but man I was getting annoyed with even MS Office Mac Edition. It felt like a whole other program to me. Luckily I added Windows XP via bootcamp now I find myself using Windows all the time lol. But it's always nice to have the option of going back to MAC also.

As for programs, I strongly suggest Avast for your virus protection and what not. It's free and it works very well. Catches things that others don't and even alerts you before you open up a malicious website.

I switched from PC to MAC and absolutely dreaded it for business. MAC is fun for video chatting and just social interaction stuff, but man I was getting annoyed with even MS Office Mac Edition. It felt like a whole other program to me. Luckily I added Windows XP via bootcamp now I find myself using Windows all the time lol. But it's always nice to have the option of going back to MAC also.

As for programs, I strongly suggest Avast for your virus protection and what not. It's free and it works very well. Catches things that others don't and even alerts you before you open up a malicious website.
I have a Macbook that I run XP on in a VMWare virtualization environment. I run most things off of Mac OS, but still use XP for certain programs (Word, Outlook, company VPN). I find that just running Mac OS provides significantly better battery life than running XP in virtualization or from Boot Camp in dual boot. As for speed, the Mac runs Windows exactly the same as it does on a PC laptop of pretty much identical specs. I just bought the Macbook since it was cheaper than the PC laptop at the time. You don't hear that often, but it was nearly $400 cheaper with the same specs (including battery upgrades on the PC) and warranty to buy a Macbook.

For Windows security, get Windows Defender to protect from Adware - I think it works better than Spybot, from my past experiences doing PC tech work. Use Firefox, an Anti-virus program, and anti-spyware, and you should be good. You should probably run an AV program on your Mac OS anyway, as they're still succeptable to viruses and other hacks. Trust me, it's no fun trying to fix and restore a Mac laptop that was hacked, had a BSD backdoor opened for an attacker, used in DDOS attacks, and had files screwed with - I've seen that a few times in my tech past.

I use FileZilla for FTP and Notepad++ for PHP & HTML editing.

Congrats on the switch. I did the same several years ago for my "day job" and never looked back.

I second NVU for HTML page creation and I like CuteFTP Pro. Being able to open files straight from the program and edit is very cool.

Filezilla here too and CS3 Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. all run perfectly fine. A good rule when dealing with Adobe products, be it PC or Mac, is to have lots of RAM and a dedicated scratch disk or partition set aside so your main HD doesn't bear the brunt of constant reading and writing.

I've got Photoshop CS2 and the latest Dreamweaver CS4 and they both run smoothly for me and I've only got 1gb of RAM.

Also go with Filezilla, very easy to use, and very efficient.

Recently I did the opposite and switched from Win to Mac. It basically was Vista which drove me crazy. W2k and XP was ok.

Concerning your questions:
- FTP: Filezilla
- HTML/PHP: PSPad (I love the Diff function) and HTML-Kit (great FTP integration)

It was tough to find an equivalent editor on Mac, luckily I finally found skEdit which is not very well known but suits my needs better than the big mac editors. still it's not freeware just like most apps on mac.

My PC is dieing and I'm about to make the switch to mac, hopefully that's not a horrible decision - anyone else use mac?

btw, I use filezilla, but SmartFTP is better (though it's not free) - use macromedia homesite for HTML, an extremely outdated but lightweight editor. Trillian works for IM... CHROME! That browser is so fast and rarely crashes, but must also run FF too to get all the benefits of plugins.

Web Development:
I've tried SmartFTP many times, not just once but never worked out for me. Filezilla is still the best for everyday grunt works(fast, simple and smooth drag and drop). It'd be great if it lets you connects to multi servers on different tabs like SmartFTP does. Still this thing fast...

For coding, i use PSPad since it's lightweight and able to edit file via FTP on the fly so no need to saving back and forth(notepad++ is similar but not my favorite). If i were to develop UI or need to edit javascript, i Aptana and dreamweaver though i really those twos.

Antivirus:
I use the same combo as yours. AVG Internet Security and Sypbot Search and Destroy. It does the jobs pretty much every -ware/.

I'm no designer so Pain and MS Picture FTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.