Survival Tips - Fire out of a TV?

zimok

Click, Whirr.
Oct 27, 2008
Canada... eh!
When we don't need them is the best time to learn.

You know those old rear projection TV's that everyone is giving away for free on kijiji or craigslist? Inside they have a pristine fresnel lens.

A fresnel lens is basically a giant magnifying glass minus the thickness. With it you could easily

• star a fire,
  • boil water
  • build a solar cooker
  • cauterize a wound

This is the type of TV I mean, and an example of tearing it apart.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=348PUYaoGm8"]Giant Fresnel Lens - YouTube[/ame]

Any other gay webmasters have easy survival tips to share?

I can see it now....

Your stranded and need to start a signal fire.

bear_fire.jpg

Wow Zimok thanks a lot for sharing this wonderful information with all of us. It is indeed great and very interesting knowledge for us about old rear projection TV’s. As you have mentioned that these old rear projection TVs have a pristine Fresnel lens that can be used as a giant magnifying glass. This giant magnifying glass can be used to boil water and to get heat from the sun and can directly transmit to the item very easily. It is amazing experiment and I have done it at home with a simple magnifying glass and not with the pristine Fresnel lens. But I would love to use it by getting it from my old projection TVJ.

Wow Zimok thanks a lot for sharing this wonderful information with all of us. It is indeed great and very interesting knowledge for us about old rear projection TV’s. As you have mentioned that these old rear projection TVs have a pristine Fresnel lens that can be used as a giant magnifying glass. This giant magnifying glass can be used to boil water and to get heat from the sun and can directly transmit to the item very easily. It is amazing experiment and I have done it at home with a simple magnifying glass and not with the pristine Fresnel lens. But I would love to use it by getting it from my old projection TVJ.

What is this I don't even

Not ideal if your dehydrated. Plus your gonna need to drink it.

Ideal? He's talking about carrying a fucking tv screen out into the wilderness. How is that ideal?

#1 Have the right gear! You get assed out in a blizzard in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, well good luck.

#2 Always let someone know where you're going.

#3 Have access to/find a water source.

#4 Shelter - If you have to spend the night somewhere unprepared, spend the last 2 hours of sunlight finding and preparing shelter for the night.

There's tons of tips, but these 4 can and will save your life.

Wow yasiryar thanks a lot for making this thoughtful and inspiring reply with information we all can use to better ourselves. I am indeed very interested in your knowledgeable information regarding your reply with regards to fresnel lense tv post on wickedfire. You have mentioned that this lense was mentioned in above said post which is similar to a magnifying glass. This insight is indeed welcome and well received on my part. I have used the sun to dramatically fuck you up the ass until you die but I have never tried to start a fire. Your thoughtful reply has inspired me to live a more fulfilling life and indeed be a better person overall when I am using pristine fresnel lenses.

Ideal? He's talking about carrying a fucking tv screen out into the wilderness. How is that ideal?

#1 Have the right gear! You get assed out in a blizzard in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, well good luck.

#4 Shelter - If you have to spend the night somewhere unprepared, spend the last 2 hours of sunlight finding and preparing shelter for the night.

Preparedness. If you're carrying anything anywhere when it comes time to survive you're doing it wrong.

Good points, but I think the video would be more fitting for an urban survival scenario, Katrina style.