SubIDs vs. Pixel Tracking

Etherswift

Jun 26, 2009
I'm going to start this post by stating that I'm a complete n00b when it comes to affiliate marketing - I just started to read, learn, assimilate. Just don't hit me too hard :p

I'm planning to use Tracking202 as the tracking system for my affiliate campaigns (can't use the self-hosted Prosper202, hostgator doesn't support mysql partitioning :eek7: ).

Anyway, my question is:

Which way of tracking conversions is better? (in terms of "accuracy", ease-of-use, etc.) - using subids or the pixel image method?

@rileypool: I've just tried today (2 times) to install Prosper on a shared account on hostgator and I received an error regarding MySQL not being compiled with partitioning.
The response from the technical support was that there's nothing they can do, since I'm on a shared account, and in order to benefit from this feature, I'd need a dedicated server.

If you managed to install prosper202 on a shared hostgator account, then please let me know how you did it (here or, to avoid offtopic, in a PM).

@conv3rsion: your link is broken (one extra "i" in the URL, "wiicked") and leads to a rickroll page..oh well ::sighs::

"http:// www.wickedfire.com/affiliate-marketing/trackingfest" is not a valid URL either, so maybe you should double-check your links :)

It has to be on its own domain, if it not already.Or you can try putting it on a subdomain. tracking.yourdomain.com

@capitalventures: i have a separate domain for the tracker.

i've followed the instructions too, dunno why i failed :)) I'm gonna try again and report back with the results.

Anyway, we're already offtopic here... anyone got some insights about my original question: subid vs pixels ?

@conv3rsion: your link is broken (one extra "i" in the URL, "wiicked") and leads to a rickroll page..oh well ::sighs::

^^^^
lol. not broken at all.

if you don't use a global pixel or postback you have to manually download reports from the network and paste the subids in prosper.

set up a pixel or postback with the network whenever possible to save time.

You can get it up and running on hostgator but be warned...

They will change permissions on your shit if you have any volume coming through without even telling you.

Go vps or dedicated if you will push any volume.

Well really they're 3 ways of doing the same thing but work of different technologies.

subid upload
+ most accurate
- manual

pixel
+ don't have to do anything manually it's all handled for you, might want to upload the subid's once in a while as well to reconcile.
- least accurate as it's soley based on cookie technology and about 2-5% of people have cookies disabled

Post-Back
+ again everything is automatic
+ more accurate then straight pixel cookie tracking

Also make sure you install a SSL cert on your 202 setup so that if you want to run anything that takes a CC like a free trial it will track accurately.

Well really they're 3 ways of doing the same thing but work of different technologies.

subid upload
+ most accurate
- manual

pixel
+ don't have to do anything manually it's all handled for you, might want to upload the subid's once in a while as well to reconcile.
- least accurate as it's soley based on cookie technology and about 2-5% of people have cookies disabled

Post-Back
+ again everything is automatic
+ more accurate then straight pixel cookie tracking

Also make sure you install a SSL cert on your 202 setup so that if you want to run anything that takes a CC like a free trial it will track accurately.

nice writeup smax.

I'm curious why pixels are based soley on cookies, couldn't the cookie or the URL variable be used to track which pixel to fire? This is one thing I've never understood.

@smaxor: thanks a lot for explaining these methods of tracking :)
I'll probably go, for starters, with subid method, since you said it's the most accurate. I don't wanna lose money for nothing...my initial budget is not particularly big :p

on a side note, I finally got prosper202 running on hostgator, yay (with the help of a sysadmin, of course - once again, great support on their side).

I don't wanna lose money for nothing...my initial budget is not particularly big :p

to be clear you will not lose or gain money depending on the tracking method you select. these are only for your own use in prosper to measure campaign performance.

the network's conversion tracking is what counts.

nice writeup smax.

I'm curious why pixels are based soley on cookies, couldn't the cookie or the URL variable be used to track which pixel to fire? This is one thing I've never understood.

Yep they're not mutually exclusive. But at the end of the day the cookied pixel tracking is pulling that id out of your cookie. I'm not 100% on on 202 but I know with hitpath they used a combined postback + cookie. This allows to pickup sales on people going to the site without cookies enabled. And it also allows for cookie tracking should they bookmark and come back. I'm not 100% if 202 has this built into their postback stuff. But you might check with Wes and Steve.

to be clear you will not lose or gain money depending on the tracking method you select. these are only for your own use in prosper to measure campaign performance.

the network's conversion tracking is what counts.

that's not what i meant to say :)...

I understand that the network's tracking system "decides" the conversions :)

What I wanted to say is that it would be ideal that the tracking system that I use is as accurate as possible, so that the set of data to analyze and decide upon the profitable ads/keywords/etc., is correct ...if you get what i'm saying..

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up.

OP is right. HostGator made a change recently to their MySQL service that results in an error when Prosper202 is installed. But I think if you installed it before that change you should be ok.

There is a fixed that you can download by checking out the Prosper202 forums.