Strange 404 errors on vps

ii silver ii

ǝɹıɟpǝʞɔı&
Dec 18, 2008
I'm running a Windows Server 2003 vps which is funcitoning fine apart from one strange error, it won't load any microsoft sites or subdomains and just passes a 404, all other domains and sites operate just fine.

Even if I try and ping the site I get..

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping microsoft.com
Ping request could not find host microsoft.com. Please check the name and try again.

• Tried putting IE security settings on low
  • Disabled enhanced IE security
  • Deleted all temporary files, settings, etc
  • Restarted
  • Tried disabling DCHP Client service
  • Spyware scan with windows defender (but cant download updates because there on a micrsoft site..)
  • Changed the LAN mtu from 1500 to 2000

Any ideas or experienced similar problems? Think the support team are taking a look aswel.

Yep it's a vps from a respected provider and it passed the windows defender validate install thing.

I'm sure your "respected provider" has support. Use it.

Just asking because it seems quite a lot of people had the same issue on google but remains largely unresolved, managed to fix it now anyway so thanks.

Any chance you are using a different DNS entry than what your provider has? (or hell even try level3's 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 , depending on how your networking is setup there of course). Though normally that wouldn't be microsoft-only but worth a shot.

Anyone else ever experiences this then it's the conflicker.b and conflicker.c worm

The most annoying part is the removal softwares are on microsoft domains but if you ever get it just run this...

Windows Live OneCare

Anyone else ever experiences this then it's the conflicker.b and conflicker.c worm

The most annoying part is the removal softwares are on microsoft domains but if you ever get it just run this...

Windows Live OneCare

I was about to say it's a virus / worm. This is an OLD ass technique to prevent people from applying patches and / or getting removal software from Microsoft. You'll probably also find it's blocking several a/v update sites.