Sometimes being nice does pay off

mimoza3

Jan 30, 2011
Home
Here is a little story, about 4 years ago I had a dinner party for some friends, one guy (a friend of a friend) started telling me how difficult it was for him to get leads for his work (plumber) since he was new in town, I started telling him about local search - one thing led to another and I ended up setting him up with a domain and hosting (on one of my reseller accounts) and also did a quick WP install for him.

Gave him a short intro into the system and sent him on his way.

He called about a year later saying that he does get some action and asked to pay for the hosting and the domain (which he did every year) and asked if I can give him a little help on SEO. So I did a couple of articles and directory submissions (those still worked at the time) and very light SEO work, got him links.

This week I have people over, and this guy was there too, he told me he just landed a big project, and that it was 100% because of the site, was real happy and handed me an envelop with $2,500 in it, asked me to keep that as payment for my services. Probably the best money I have ever made, for so little work.

Now... I started thinking about this money, half is going to go for some party-time investment, the rest I don't know.... I'm thinking of trying out a EDM for some easy monthly Adsense, with this "surprise" payment I can just test things, learn and make some money...

Or maybe I am better off finding a real good old PR6-7 site and buying it?

Fuck or -

You could build some local services sites using the techniques you're already proven to have and sell some leads to the local business owners.

From there you can start offering to do custom sites for these businesses.

Then you can open a full service agency.

Then you can sell out for a million dollars!

Or make an MFA.

Fuck or -

You could build some local services sites using the techniques you're already proven to have and sell some leads to the local business owners.

Or make an MFA.

of course one of these involves talking to people

which is why I would choose the other

Fuck or -

Or make an MFA.

LOLZ
Well, I did set up locals in the past (round about the time I helped this friend out) however it led to a lot of emails and contact questions about all sorts of things I had no idea about... its a pain in the butt.

I guess this leaves the MFA option...

LOLZ
Well, I did set up locals in the past (round about the time I helped this friend out) however it led to a lot of emails and contact questions about all sorts of things I had no idea about... its a pain in the butt.

I guess this leaves the MFA option...

You've got a great business op looking right at you and easily enough money to get into it (this is one of the few industries where a couple of grand and some knowledge gives you an in), do it.

You still need to talk to your mum, even from the basement.

we don't have basements on tropical islands

trying to sell and dealing with a bunch of "small business owners" sounds about as enjoyable as sticking a piece of glass in my dick hole

Believe it or not I am a contractor and I mess around with the seo on my own site. Right now im just moving keywords with blogger,wordpress, tumblr ect. Local search is pretty ez because some contractors are still trying to run a business on word of mouth or they are just retarded and use a website as a photo album.

There is a very large market for contractor websites. 2k per month for seo work, ppc, social crap. You cant build crap links but 200 decent links will create enough leads and revenue contractors will send you christmas cards.

If you search in the burbs yellow pages, angies list, all kinds of shit is in the top spots. Money going out the window every day, for someone.

Don't know why you say that... I bought high PR sites for less... of course you need some research and patience.

Of course you'll get high pr sites for less. You can even buy pr 5 pages for $50 but they ain't worth shit! I never saw someone selling a real good PR5-PR6 for less then $4k (which is pretty cheap) but maybe you are lucky!

Even though - It's not about pagerank anymore...

PS: Cool story anyway!

This week I have people over, and this guy was there too, he told me he just landed a big project, and that it was 100% because of the site, was real happy and handed me an envelop with $2,500 in it, asked me to keep that as payment for my services.

And you're in Europe?

AMERICA FUCK YEAH

I always try to help people within reason. If they ask me a specific question I will usually give them an answer if I know it. If they ask me how to install wordpress I will tell them to google it.

Glad to hear that things worked out so well for you. I would try to keep tapping that local SEO vein.

I'm actually considering setting up a bunch of niche sites and selling them at maybe a 50% profit just to get people interested in making money online.

It's scary just how ignorant the general public is about the online economy considering the economic shit storm going on all around us.

hey that guy was good to you even generous..your luck ;)
and you should run some site with that money or ask him to hire you with handsome cash money ;) :D

jolly decent of him to hand you that cash.

have you thought of doing lead gen with automatic lead distribution? same principle, less dealing with biz owners

-p