Someone is selling my shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugepedlar

Jan 27, 2008
This is amusing.

I sell a product of mine called the Affiliate Mashup Store for $199. It's a website creation tool which generates a store full of affiliate products.

Some guy, let's call him Ali Farhat for that is his name, bought a copy last week using a paypal echeque, which takes around a week to clear.

A couple of days ago he emails me with some bullshit problems saying my script is full of bugs. I explain what his problem is (he's not using his keywords correctly) and give him some examples of how to improve his site. He fires back saying one of my examples (a search for lipstick which he says shows no results) is not true and he wants a refund.

Fair enough, I offer refunds for any reason, but I send him a screenshot of his site proving that my example is in fact correct just in case he's being stupid, and say I'll sort out the refund when he removes my script from his site. Fair enough right?

Next day I get an email from paypal saying he's cancelled his payment. This fucks up my paydotcom stats which now indicate that my income has doubled from that transaction instead of being reversed, and I owe the affiliate that referred the sale double instead of nothing. WTF?

Anyway, next thing I notice is a ton of traffic from some dutch forum.

This twat is reselling my script with resell rights for 33 fucking euros.

First thing I do is code up some php to redirect all traffic from that forum to a 'special' page telling everyone about this fraudster and how they should cancel any payments to him. Oh and I put up his address and telephone number for good measure.

I then join the forum and PM him telling him he's going to regret this.

He PMs me back saying the post has been removed (true) and it won't happen again.

This is where I ask for your help. I've told the guy several times to remove my script from his site hype2day.com but he hasn't. Given he lives in the Netherlands and I'm in the UK (soon to be Australia) what if anything can I do about it? Find his webhost, his registrar? File a complaint with Commission Junction saying he's using stolen software to refer sales?

You know, if he'd offered to give away my script I'd be less pissed off than seeing him sell the fucking thing.

731658890_d86772f65f.jpg

Since he has a copy of the script, he can always put it back up on any number of domains that you wouldn't know about. So finding some way to get the script off his current site won't be permanent.

Instead of wasting time trying to get him to take down the script, focus on preventing this from happening again in the future. Make it so users need a unique license to use the script, etc. Also, don't fucking send the script until the eCheck clears. I thought that was common sense....

You can try to contact the hosting company. If he's using a big company it will be easy.

The buy button you are using on your mashup site is made by me. +rep.

Since he has a copy of the script, he can always put it back up on any number of domains that you wouldn't know about. So finding some way to get the script off his current site won't be permanent.

Instead of wasting time trying to get him to take down the script, focus on preventing this from happening again in the future. Make it so users need a unique license to use the script, etc. Also, don't fucking send the script until the eCheck clears. I thought that was common sense....

Yes I realise there's little I can do to stop him using it in future. I just want to piss him off as much as I can now really.

Oh and yes it is common sense to not release the goods until an echeque has cleared. Unfortunately the paydotcom transaction system lacks this common sense. There was no way I could have stopped it using their system. Nor did I know it was necessary - this is the first time I've received an echeque.

Good point with the license idea though. I'll get to work on that.

You can try to contact the hosting company. If he's using a big company it will be easy.

The buy button you are using on your mashup site is made by me. +rep.

Thanks, I love that big fucking red button :)

Pardon my n00bness but how do I find out who his hosting company is?

Thanks, I love that big fucking red button :)

Pardon my n00bness but how do I find out who his hosting company is?

Do a whois lookup on his domain name. It looks like he is using transip.net for hosting.

Yes I realise there's little I can do to stop him using it in future. I just want to piss him off as much as I can now really.

Oh and yes it is common sense to not release the goods until an echeque has cleared. Unfortunately the paydotcom transaction system lacks this common sense. There was no way I could have stopped it using their system. Nor did I know it was necessary - this is the first time I've received an echeque.

Good point with the license idea though. I'll get to work on that.
Use ioncube.

This is why you don't deal with towelheads. They are the most dishonest people on the planet.

Result.

He's emailed me a couple of time this afternoon. I think he was terrified I'd ruin his online reputation, har har. He's taken down the site, which is all I asked in the first place. I'm pretty sure he's not going to do it again, but I know a lot about his online business now so he believes I'll know if he does.

Thanks for the ioncube idea, AEJ. I wanted to keep my code open so legitimate buyers could build on it, but I do like the idea of doing an encrypted trial period so I'll take a look at it.

i always like the xrumer option in these situations. leave it running overnight signing up to a few 100K forums that require email activation. use "insert idiots email here" as the activation email address. leave it running overnight for full inbox goodness...

and of course add:

"free email sex - xxx Ali (idiots email address)" as the message for the few spams that get through if you wanna be real evil. or just set it to register only if you don't want to piss off the forum owners.

i took down some real evil bitch that kept continually complaining to my hosting that i was scraping her (shitty) art blog using this tactic. never got another complaint. probably helped that i changed all her posts to "another shitty watercolor from crappy artist...name" and what not on my blogs. she must have had the shock of her life when the technorati spider updated (how she was tracking me) and she saw 5 pages of the above ranking ahead of her for each of her posts. lol

gave my hosting a laugh too ;) god bless slhost, most common sense host out there.

itch

Status
Not open for further replies.