SOCA, U Mad?

Chianti

Apr 24, 2010
_58513661_58513660.jpg

Music site RnBXclusive.com has been shut down by the UK's Serious Organised Crime Agency (Soca). A takedown notice warned visitors who have used the site to download music they could face up to 10 years imprisonment and an unlimited fine. BBC News

I hate to sound like an alarmist. (Seriously, shut up! I do.) But this shit is happening too damn fast now.

When SOPA/PIPA Blackout day happened it really pissed the bad guys off. Since then they've treated the legislatures/parliments of the world as their own personal Machine gun and rapid-fired bill after bill nonstop.

After SOPA & PIPA there was ACTA all across Europe. Luckily that shit is not going well for them, several EU countries are even wondering why they are considering this bill.

Next up the IIPA putting pressure on US lawmakers to create sanctions against Canada, Russia, Switzerland and others for their weak IP laws... Which of course is a class that everyone belongs to beside this country, but hey.

But most scary, especially if you're a Canuck, is their bill C-51, which looks like SOPA's big, uglier brother, expected to be passed very soon by Canada's parliment.

...Now there is this SOCA action from the UK, and the US running around grabbing people out of any country they want to like they did with KimDotCom, and we've really got ourselves one hell of an assault on our hands!

...All to protect an outdated business model that the Net made impractical for the 21st century.

Anyway, this shit is getting real; Mark my words, gentlemen, the Content cabal aren't stopping until every ISP watches everything that everyone does and INSTANTLY penalizes you for whatever they want you to be penalized for.

This is the shit that revolutions are made of.

I hate to sound like an alarmist. (Seriously, shut up! I do.) But this shit is happening too damn fast now.

When SOPA/PIPA Blackout day happened it really pissed the bad guys off. Since then they've treated the legislatures/parliments of the world as their own personal Machine gun and rapid-fired bill after bill nonstop.

After SOPA & PIPA there was ACTA all across Europe. Luckily that shit is not going well for them, several EU countries are even wondering why they are considering this bill.

Next up the IIPA putting pressure on US lawmakers to create sanctions against Canada, Russia, Switzerland and others for their weak IP laws... Which of course is a class that everyone belongs to beside this country, but hey.

But most scary, especially if you're a Canuck, is their bill C-51, which looks like SOPA's big, uglier brother, expected to be passed very soon by Canada's parliment.

...Now there is this SOCA action from the UK, and the US running around grabbing people out of any country they want to like they did with KimDotCom, and we've really got ourselves one hell of an assault on our hands!

...All to protect an outdated business model that the Net made impractical for the 21st century.

Anyway, this shit is getting real; Mark my words, gentlemen, the Content cabal aren't stopping until every ISP watches everything that everyone does and INSTANTLY penalizes you for whatever they want you to be penalized for.

This is the shit that revolutions are made of.
Chuuuuuuch..... (Everything he said and more)

vote them out of office!!
...Um, you do realize they'll just bribe or blackmail the next guys you put into office, right?

Sadly, the only way to stop this onslaught of attacks to our freedom is to go after the Content Cabal directly.

Stop. Buying. Their. Products.

Here's how to do it:

Step 1: Identify all the Cabal member parties. It's likely very similar to the list of SOPA Supporters we have floating around here somewhere. Do some homework though and find out every corp that is affecting these bills worldwide.

Step 2: Make a site (Not on a Godaddy Domain!) which tells the world of this plan, Identifying the exact corporations not to buy from anymore.

Step 3: Make a smartphone App that lets people consider this list in their actual purchases. You never know when you're at the mall if the shoes or pen you're about to buy is going to benefit one of those megacorps. The app should suggest a nearby store that sells an alternative, too. (Possible name for this app: Don't Fuck With my Net!)

Step 4: Get the friggin word out. Youtube films, bloggers, day of recognition, twitter response campaigns, etc.​

When these companies all find their bottom lines are dwindling out of sheer hatred by their customers, they'll stop. Or they'll fail to exist even.

It's either this or accept these bills.

Now, who's got the right stuff (App making skills, research skills, connections) to pull this off?

^ so what are you doing towards pulling this off?

Not trying to be a dick, just genuinely curious. I like your list - for example, why not make it a project on FOSS Factory. Or even here on good old WF.

Guess a lot of us here would contribute at least some money towards a project like this. It's either time or money... likely you only have one of these to spend. As for me, I'm a little short on time, especially given the scope of such an undertaking. And I reckon I'm not the only one.

Just a thought. Let's start taking it one step further than just talking about it and complaining. That's literally all we've been doing for the past few months. It contradicts the very essence of the point we're trying to make. Saying "we should fight back" without actually doing anything makes us all bigot liars.

It's like we're dickrolling ourselves by being plain lazy. We see the dick. We recognize the dick. We don't want to click the dick. We click the dick. Oopsie!

What we need is some sort of organization. Not a mere accumulation of posts by random people on some forum.

There are tools for this. We need to use them.

Last edited:
^ so what are you doing towards pulling this off?
I'm glad you like the idea, but frankly I don't want to be the central face to stand up against a large collective of planet-owning corporations and cost them billions of dollars in revenue. :338:

I wouldn't wish that on any of you guys. (Well maybe hellblazer.) So what I think needs to be done to get such a project started would be to peer-to-peer-ize it, and that would take some talented programming as well.

Do any programmers here know what it would take to:

1. Create the website in a decentralized, anonymously-owned way so if one were taken down others would stay up, meanwhile not giving up ownership?

2. Create the iphone & android Apps to do this, and have them downloadable from the aforementioned sites?

3. Create an unmanned central management system (presumably accessed through the site) where people can go to anonymously give their time or resources to make all the tasks like research and promotion of the app get distributed?

Now that I think of it more, this is a job for Anonymous. Anyone know how to get this info to them?

I'm glad you like the idea, but frankly I don't want to be the central face to stand up against a large collective of planet-owning corporations and cost them billions of dollars in revenue. :338:

Well that's exactly what I'm trying to say. I think you might be thinking too small-scale, or maybe thinking too 'underground'. No offense - I agree 100% with what you say in general, just have a slightly different point of view. And I think you deliver my point exactly: you say "the collective of corporations".

What is a corporation? A legal entity. That's a piece of paper that adheres to the policy of the state. Nothing more. Anyone can create a corporation. Any person can sign a piece of paper under state policy.

And what have these corporations done? They have collectively created a third legal entity to represent their interests before the legislative body of the state (country). That entity is just another company. Just another piece of paper. A piece of paper that anyone can reproduce.

My point is: sure the otherwise unorganized 'public' can try to fight existing political structures from beneath. That's what groups like Anonymous et al are trying to do, I suppose. Even without them, the public might succeed every now and then, as most recently demonstrated in the case of SOPA/PIPA. But the problem is that the public is not organized. The special interest groups are, and that's where their advantage lies.

That's what I'm proposing. To create an organization under current legislation that represents our interests. We're making money on (off of) the internet, and there's a LOT of us, so I don't see the idea of creating a legal body that protects and proactively defends our market, and even our modus operandi, before the legislative body of our respective countries as too far out.

Why is it too far fetched to finally organize ourselves, officially? The only alternative (short of a bloody revolution, which will never happen) is to swallow whatever the opposition comes up with.

Last edited:
Hmm. Like a 501(c)3? Or a corp itself?

Wouldn't someone need to be the headman/pres/CEO/emperor of such an undertaking?

I just see that person's life as forfeit the moment they get some decent traction.

In the game of corp v/s corp, it's the corp with the most money that squashes the other one, or at the very least buys them out and makes them dance like a little propaganda bitch.

Last edited:
Wouldn't someone need to be the headman/pres/CEO/emperor of such an undertaking?
Can be a group of stakeholders, which each have to be an 'entity' under the law, whether that's a natural person or a legal entity, such as a company...

I just see that person's life as forfeit the moment they get some decent traction.
Nope. Why?

In the game of corp v/s corp, it's the corp with the more money that squashes the other one, or at the very least buys them out and makes them dance like a little propaganda bitch.
More capital might have more leverage on first glance. But for one, no one can buy you out unless you agree to get buyed out. And don't we have the resources to compete? We have lawyers on WF, seasoned affiliates, network owners, and so on. If 50,000 people each only throw in $200, we'll have a $10 million US Dollar budget.

Every one of us is currently doing our own thing. Milking the market if and where we can. Sure, every one has buddies and friends here and there, but to date, there's no real contiguity to the industry as a whole. Internet marketing is still a largely anonymous thing compared to other industries, and especially compared to those that we're all up against.

He did a fuck lot more than run a website. Dude was on a jet every other day securing funding and talking to whistlers... That was one busy dude.

....Not to mention Naive.

Don't get me wrong; I love where this conversation is going; but please don't make the mistake of confusing the Content Cartel with a mom & pop shop. There are many BILLIONS of dollars at stake. (And it only takes about $50k to have a person killed.)

Well he was an Ozzie in Europe, so I see no reason why he'd be thinking about lobbies...

Alright, convince me. What PROTECTION does a hired lobby give us against their 900-lb hired lobby and of course ninjas?

Don't get me wrong; I love where this conversation is going; but please don't make the mistake of confusing the Content Cartel with a mom & pop shop. There are many BILLIONS of dollars at stake. (And it only takes about $50k to have a person killed.)

That may be true, I honestly don't know how much it takes to get a person killed, and I'm not going to state anything to the contrary since I have no evidence that supports that. But that's not my point bro, and it's not even related to my point.

Assange, for example, is a person. One guy. As much as I respect him and his ideals (I do), he didn't bother to 'play by the rules' of our cumbersome existence. He did his own thing, and that's definitely respectable by and in itself -- but tbh I think it's a miracle that he even got the exposure that he did. This is not really about being a personal hero than about playing on the field that is reality today, whether you're in the US or in EU or somewhere else in the world.

Today, this field is already far too established for you to even try to combat it at its very essence. Ron Paul is a great example. He says a lot of things that really make sense all the way, but then he says some weird shit that's really too far "out there". That sort of thing doesn't resonate well with Mr and Ms Average Dumb Voterz who only care about their dishwasher running properly, if you know what I mean.

In any case - I do think we have a solid number of people here who would, at the very least, support a lobbying enterprise representing our interests. I know I'm not the only one thinking this way, and I know I'm not the only one being able to commit some amount of money per month/year to such a cause.

All I'm saying is we have to play by the rules of the game if we expect to be a part of the game.

And even if we hate the game (which we do), we STILL have to play by the rules right now, because we can only change it step by step.