so I want to crowdfund a hookah lounge

DanielQ

Jun 29, 2008
A police state.
My brother and I want to open a hookah lounge this fall near the college campus I just graduated from and where he's currently enrolled. There is no direct competition, it would be positioned on a main street, and the university has approximately 6,000 students. I have my business plan and financial projections developed. I've researched legal licenses, wholesalers, etc. I have a location I'm looking at and will be contacting the owner soon.

The main problem I face is funding. I likely won't be able to take out a loan myself, though it's possible that between myself and my partner we can raise $5000 in personal/business/micro loans. Startup costs are between $20,000 and $30,000 depending on cost of rent and how many months of rent we decide we need upfront (9-12). If we really wanted to push it we might be able to get buy with around $17,500 to launch.

I'm considering a local crowdfunding campaign and was looking for feedback on feasibility, strategies, resources, and any general insight you guys can offer.

Crowdfunding the business will be especially challenging since service-based businesses don't perform well, and local campaigns immensely reduce the number of potential contributors. There also isn't much of a crowdfunding scene in my city. And I'm targeting college students. That said, crowdfunding is the only financing option that I consider feasible at this point, though I'm open to other options. I plan on marketing the crowdfunding campaign directly to students.

Thoughts? Right now we're considering putting together a startup team of friends still enrolled at the university to help promote the crowdfunding campaign directly to students at the start of the school year. It would be heavy on social media, flyers, speaking to student organizations, and directly talking to students. Contributor prizes would vary, but would largely include semester-long membership passes, private parties, pre-purchases of discounted smoke sessions, naming the in-house flavor, being entered into a raffle for various awards, and so on. My concern is that this approach will be insufficient. What approaches/strategies do you have for marketing something like this to college students? How much of a long shot is it really? I believe the key here would be to develop strong word of mouth and to truly hype the campaign/lounge.

Due to the challenges of a local crowdfunding campaign, I was considering offering items our business will be able to get at a wholesale price to contributors from outside my city. This would be to grow our potential contributor base. This would be things like electronic cigarettes, e-cig juice, hookahs, and shisha, which would be marketed to e-cig and hookah smokers online, in topical blogs, forums, and social media pages and groups, and would be sold near the market price (slightly below, at, or slightly above?). This of course would increase the needed goal amount as there would be overhead costs for these pre-purchases. Is this a good/bad approach to overcoming the local issue? What other ideas do you have?

Overall I guess I'm just looking for your perspective and advice on funding this venture through crowdfunding. I'm looking for strategies to successful raise at least 75% of the startup costs via crowdfunding or through alternative funding options. I'm looking for crowdfunding strategies for a small business that's local and service-based. I believe there's unmet demand and I'm confident that if we can find a way to raise our startup costs and launch it that it'll be successful. My projections have us breaking even in 3-4 months, and that's from hookah session sales alone, not including selling drinks, snacks, electronic cigarettes, e-cig refills, other tobacco.

Any insights, strategies, or resources specifically on crowdfunding a service-based business at a local level would be especially appreciate. Constructive criticism is also welcome.

For your time:

ScreenShot2014-07-28at115911PM.png

ScreenShot2014-07-28at115820PM.png

ScreenShot2014-07-28at115718PM.png

ScreenShot2014-07-28at115738PM.png

Thanks Guys

#1..

ID everyone. There will be a lot of people under 18, regardless if it's a college area. People will pay to get a hookah, and invite friends in who "show up late".

#2..

Sell drinks/small food if you want to profit.
Push ecigs, 420 smoking devices, etc.

#3..

Comfort = $$$. You need money for couches, pillows, etc. People don't want to sit at a table, it's a "lounge". + Consider washing all of that. Best investment you can make is waterproofing/protecting all the fabric. People burn it and spill drinks everywhere.

#4..

You're going to need a HIGH filtration system $$$$. Opening the windows and doors isn't going to do it. It will get so smokey, even if it's "hookah". A dedicated outdoor area will be hard to find + manage the customers who jump the rail inside.

I've seen these places go from start up to shut down. It's interesting how that business evolves.

Out of 6,000 students, how many would stop by a Hookah bar once?

Out of those, how many would stop by weekly?

Out of those, how many would stop by daily?

My guess (and that's all it is) would be...

1. Maybe 400 would even bother to check it out.

2. Maybe 30-40 would be weekly regulars or better.

3. Maybe 5-10 would be enthusiastic enough to be semi-regulars on any given night.

I could be way off base. Also the hidden costs as Contract mentioned above. Licensing. Policing for minors. The pushback from local .gov for pushing tobacco products onto college kids. Filtration. Health department. Etc etc.

Is this something you want to do because you believe there's really a huge demand or something you want to do because it'd be fun? It'd be nice if it were both, but that's likely not the case - again I could be wrong.

^^ What the last two guys said. From my perspective, soooo much headache, so little reward. What's the city and health dept. going to say? In some places you can't even smoke cigarettes 50 feet from a building or even in a city park these days.

^^ What the last two guys said. From my perspective, soooo much headache, so little reward. What's the city and health dept. going to say? In some places you can't even smoke cigarettes 50 feet from a building or even in a city park these days.

^ I was wondering the same thing. At many places, you have to smoke at least X feet away from the door now. Let alone inside.

Why not speak to a local bar or cafe owner and see if you could come to an arrangement to run a shisha night from their establishment once a week/month? Seems like a much better way to do things in terms of proving demand and keeping overheads down..

I'm not sure a project like this is best suited to crowdfunding. Commercial projects do work, but they tend to be more tactile like gadgets etc.

Alternatively propose a multi-purpose 'community' venue for the uni - can imagine it would be easy to get publicity and people behind it financially/labour-wise. (..Then use said venue for your nefarious tobacco pushing agenda, lol)

^ I was wondering the same thing. At many places, you have to smoke at least X feet away from the door now. Let alone inside.

The ruling is typically related to alcohol. You can either allow smokers or allow alcohol. Since most places make their money off their liquor license, the choice is pretty obvious.

Out of 6,000 students, how many would stop by a Hookah bar once?

Out of those, how many would stop by weekly?

Out of those, how many would stop by daily?

My guess (and that's all it is) would be...

1. Maybe 400 would even bother to check it out.

2. Maybe 30-40 would be weekly regulars or better.

3. Maybe 5-10 would be enthusiastic enough to be semi-regulars on any given night.

I could be way off base. Also the hidden costs as Contract mentioned above. Licensing. Policing for minors. The pushback from local .gov for pushing tobacco products onto college kids. Filtration. Health department. Etc etc.

Is this something you want to do because you believe there's really a huge demand or something you want to do because it'd be fun? It'd be nice if it were both, but that's likely not the case - again I could be wrong.

I agree 100%. This is a limited market. You'll be bankrupt
within 18 months.

Crowd funding works really well for projects that are A) products and B) interesting to large groups of people on the internet so that you get tiny investments by thousands of people, adding up to real money.

For a brick and mortar lounge I think you're looking at traditional sources of investors. Seems cleaner too. When you pledge $50 for the new AutoAssBlaster5000 concept, it's simple: you and a legion of other ass blasting enthusiasts put up $50, they build it and ship it, you get your ass blasted in a unique and novel way, end of partnership. When you invest in a "lounge", what do you get? Free entry/smokes for a month? Equity? VIP status? Seems thin and/or messy. It's like a Groupon that you have to wait a really long time to use (if ever).

Not to mention most of your target pledgers are broke college kids who couldn't scare up but $50 on a good week. You say $17.5k for a brick and mortar lounge with all your bases covered, I say double that at least -- but call it $30k. $30k / $50 = 600 broke college-going hookah fanatics = 10% of the student body = one hell of an optimistic conversion rate. And you know when weed/beer money gets tight a month down the line you'll be getting some jokers asking for their money back.

You could look at LendingClub.com for a non-bank loan.