Share Your Favorite Economics-Related Sites ITT: Keynesians, Austrian School etc.

charlie.simm

Gigantic Websites Dot Com
Jul 6, 2007
IMO, being willing to at least listen to all sorts of different opinions is pretty important. Even if you don't agree with them, at least analyze those opinions because otherwise, you'll do what the average Joe is constantly guilty of: if you're a Democrat, you'll only accept information from Democrat-friendly TV stations/newspapers/whatever or if you're a Republican, you'll only accept information from Republican-friendly sources.

Fuck that.

ITT, please share your favorite economics-related sites or blogs and tell us a thing or two about each. The author's philosophy and so on.

I'll start with a few links.

First of all, 3 links to let's call them Austrian School sources, so websites that are mostly read by people agree with the Austrian School's theories:

1. Mises.org - it's a pretty popular website on WF, so no additional info is required, definitely the most frequently quoted Austrian School-related site

2. ZeroHedge - lots of info/articles that one can't find on mainstream sites, I don't like the fact that they're excessively bearish; by being *too* bearish, even if you're right when it comes to the big picture, you're leaving the money you could have made via short-term strategies on the table IMO

3. Peter Schiff's YouTube Channel - he called the housing market crash back when everyone made fun of him, he predicted the financial crisis and so on; however, keep in mind that he owns Euro Pacific Precious Metals, so he tends to aggressively recommend... precious metals

Alright, now here's one Keynesian blog:

Paul Krugman's New York Times Blog - a lot of ZeroHedge readers hate the guy but he is a Nobel Prize winner, so at least listening to what he has to say can't hurt; he's definitely the most popular Keynesian author at the moment of writing

Alright, now it's time for a site I'm having a hard time categorizing:

Martin Armstrong's Blog - like Schiff, he made several accurate predictions but his theories are completely different; I'd say Martin Armstrong presents more history-related arguments than most authors, so even if you don't agree with his assessments (he thinks hyperinflation isn't a realistic risk and explains why), taking those arguments into consideration can't hurt

These are the 5 sources I'd recommend, share your favorite sites and let's compile a list. WF is a good place to find people who think outside the box, should be interesting.

tom_4b.jpg

Paul Krugman's New York Times Blog - a lot of ZeroHedge readers hate the guy but he is a Nobel Prize winner, so at least listening to what he has to say can't hurt; he's definitely the most popular Keynesian author at the moment of writing

Obama has also a nobel prize, doesn't mean shit anymore.
Krugman is a fool controlled by the propaganda machine, it's a waste of time listening to him.

EconomicPolicyJournal.com is the site I read most often these days. It's mostly written by Robert Wenzel. His posts are mainly about day to day economic events. I agree with him on most things, but he is wrong about intellectual property.

Tom Woods | The Libertarian View is another good site. It's not focused entirely on economics, but he does have a lot of good articles that include historical information on economics.

I ocassionally read Free Advice, mostly when it's linked from another site. For some reason, I never subscribed to the RSS feed. I probably should correct that.

All of these are Austrian School.

The Nobel Prize in economics isn't a real Nobel Prize. Prizes for Literature, Chemistry, Physics, Peace, and Medicine were established in Alfred Nobel's will.

The prize for economics was established in 1968 by Sweden's Central Bank, to try to give legitimacy to the pseudo-science of economics. The 'achievements' of its laureates so far have included the Markowitz/Miller/Sharp theory on asset pricing, which hugely underestimated risks and contributed massively to the 2008 economic meltdown.

The economics Nobel Prize isn't a reason to listen to someone.

(arguably, any Nobel prize isn't a reason to listen to someone.... you should judge each piece of work on its own merits)

charlie.simm;1969020[URL="http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com" said:
Paul Krugman's New York Times Blog[/URL] - a lot of ZeroHedge readers hate the guy but he is a Nobel Prize winner, so at least listening to what he has to say can't hurt; he's definitely the most popular Keynesian author at the moment of writing
An upside of his choice to advance agendas in lieu of shedding real insight is that he can delight in high profile back-and-forths with Jon Stewart.

He's something like the Tyson DeGrasse of economics.

The guy that thinks a trillion dollar platinum coin is a good idea and that the real solution to fixing the US economy is to fake an alien invasion?

That Krugman?
He's basically just some zany professor playing the partisan politics game, paid to make politicians like Obama feel validated about their terrible money management.

EconomicPolicyJournal.com is the site I read most often these days. It's mostly written by Robert Wenzel. His posts are mainly about day to day economic events. I agree with him on most things, but he is wrong about intellectual property.
I had to stop reading Bob. He's really petty, and I don't like the way he attacks Tucker and Kinsella. He's also attacked Peter Klein (as a proxy for attacking Mises) on entrepreneurship. In both cases (entrepreneurship and IP) Wenzel can't articulate a cogent or intelligent position.

I agree with following Tom Woods and Bob Murphy, although Woods is more a historian than an economist, he's still a superior economist to Krugman.

For those who say Peter Schiff as an Austrian, I'd be careful with that. Schiff is much more a Classical Economist than an Austrian. Since marginalism is not exclusively an Austrian concept, I'd say that a defining concept of Austrianism is Mises' Praxeology. Schiff is not a Praxeologist.

Also, most, but not all Austrians are anarchists. Schiff is very much a minarchist, which political philosophy aside, is a contradictory position economically.