Server uptime monitoring

supportomatic

Asshats for sale.
Oct 29, 2008
Colorado
I’ve been using a free uptime monitoring service to notify me of server problems/outages but I ran into a situation yesterday where one of my servers was down for 2 hours before I noticed there was a problem. I didn’t get a single notification. Checked spam folders, nothing. I guess you get what you pay for…

Anyone have a recommendation for a good, reliable external monitoring service? I’m looking for 5 minute http/https checks on a lot of sites. Thanks!

Pingdom is great. iPhone app can do notifications so you can find out about downtime anywhere there's service.

Must be something in the air... I woke up to a downed server this morning.

Pingdom is great. iPhone app can do notifications so you can find out about downtime anywhere there's service.

Must be something in the air... I woke up to a downed server this morning.

On the Android Market there's an app called Decaf (looks like a coffee bean icon), basically you just set it up for addresses and ports to monitor.

Funny you mentioned that, I spent last night configuring all my services on SupervisorD (basically kinda like /Monit , starts and monitors nginx, php, mysql, etc for me and restarts em if necessary).

Signed up and paid for a year w/pingdom... well, after the 30 day trial ends anyway. I like the response time/up time reporting and notification options. Good stuff.

i've had a revelation on the topic of uptime monitoring this last year. Whoever you go through for your server management get monitoring through them that way if it goes down, it creates a ticket and they do whatever it needs to bring it back up. It makes sense i just don't know why I always did it independently in the past.

If you're looking for a good SM with monitoring i recommend Platinum Server Management, Inc.

I use alertra and like it a lot. Saved my ass quite a few times. It can also check services or look for specific text on the page to make sure it is loading properly

i've had a revelation on the topic of uptime monitoring this last year. Whoever you go through for your server management get monitoring through them that way if it goes down, it creates a ticket and they do whatever it needs to bring it back up. It makes sense i just don't know why I always did it independently in the past.

If you're looking for a good SM with monitoring i recommend Platinum Server Management, Inc.
I disagree, they are far from good. Their staff (believed to be outsourced) possess very limited skill; they're basically data entry guys trained to operate cpanel. They only support cpanel and perform the initial routine hardening procedures. Anything remotely technical they "escalate" and take a long time to fix. It's generally a ripoff, I don't think it is at all worthwhile to pay anyone to manage a control panel!

I am working on starting a "real" server management service with competent staff with reasonable prices targeting webmasters: kgservermanagement.com