Server Monitoring Services?

nickCR

Feb 5, 2010
CR
Guys,

Just wondering if anyone uses an external server monitoring service. I'm not talking PING. I'm talking CPU, RAM, etc... Would be good to see spikes and all that on graphs.

Any recommendations for a service like this?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Nagios works, but you will need to customize it.

If you want something out of the box for a single server, Look at individual agents from places like: PacketTrap, Kaseya, Continuum.

They will provide you exactly what you are looking for on an hourly/daily/monthly basis - and even have a 24/7 NOC option where someone will call you and notify you if your server is unresponsive, latency to high, to much utilization, etc.

You can also generate serious reports from the data that is gathered.

Nagios works, but you will need to customize it.

If you want something out of the box for a single server, Look at individual agents from places like: PacketTrap, Kaseya, Continuum.

They will provide you exactly what you are looking for on an hourly/daily/monthly basis - and even have a 24/7 NOC option where someone will call you and notify you if your server is unresponsive, latency to high, to much utilization, etc.

You can also generate serious reports from the data that is gathered.

I use Opsview for monitoring servers. This is a nagios based system. Actually it doesn't need advance customization to build the monitoring system.

How about a server monitoring service that also submits a form on your site to make sure all forms are working properly? Do any of the above do that?

I know I've seen a thread on WF with this in the past but my searches are turning up nothing.

If you're looking to setup something yourself, the main open source options are Nagios, Zabbix and Zenoss. All support gathering and display basic stats on your server, but require time to get things installed and configured the way you like.

There are a number of monitoring services that provide similar capability in a hosted model, so you don't have to go through the installation and ongoing management of the monitoring. My company, Panopta, provides this, with the ability to monitor remote services and alert (email, SMS, voice, Twitter, HTTP POST, etc.) whenever a service is down or is responding too slowly. We can also monitor on-server resources such as CPU usage, bandwidth, etc. and send alerts whenever a metric exceeds the thresholds you set.

If you're interested, you can sign up for a free trial on our website at Panopta | Never Blinks.

How about a server monitoring service that also submits a form on your site to make sure all forms are working properly? Do any of the above do that?

I know I've seen a thread on WF with this in the past but my searches are turning up nothing.

We use Monitis.com. They monitor everything from server health (CPU, RAM, processes) to applications and web services (I need REST, Forms, SOAP and DNS).
They provide both agents-based and agent-less Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris server monitoring.