Selling Mattresses Online?

wheinrome

Nov 20, 2006
So I have a buddy that is not very business savvy and unfortunately fell for a mattress wholesalers sales pitch. He now has thousands of dollars in inventory at his house that he is having trouble selling.

He can't afford to open up a retail location and his first outing at the county swapmeet has resulted in zero sales. These are generic tempurpedic style mattresses and are good quality.

He's approached me to build him a site to help sell his mattresses online but I'm trying to dissuade from pursuing it as mattresses need to be touched and seen in person before purchase.

Any recommendations guys?

Move them all into a self store facility. Get 2 units (garage type) - one to store the product and one next door for people to test drive. Sell them all exclusively on Craigslist.

craigslist, newspaper classifieds and maybe park outside a sleep country and just lure customers to a van with mattresses

Why not contact the other online mattress sellers with your catalogue and the discounted price you can offer them and be their supplier instead?

Just give it to a bum. Maybe the karma will bless him with a rockin campaign in some form or another.

You certainly can sell them online!

Have you tried ebay at all? I bought a memory-foam mattress on ebay before and would again. I know others that have purchased mattresses online before as well.

I guess I'm showing off by posting this, but I bought this mattress last year and it's definitely one of the best purchases I've ever made. I also got a good deal. It's sitting in storage atm since I'm not in the country.

Sonno Prima Medium Mattress - Design Within Reach

I was going to get the firm but the people I talked to said the firm was too firm. The one I have (medium) is definitely firm. I'm almost waiting for these next 6 months to go fast so I can get some proper sleep. (Almost, not quite.) Damn good mattress. Wholeheartedly recommended.

For about the last 4 years or so some guy has been periodically putting up hand written bandit signs at major intersections that say something like this...

"Brand new unused queen size pillowtop mattress - $299.00 Call xxx-xxx-xxxx"

The signs hang around until the parish (county) workers remove them when doing lawn maintenance on the medians.

This tactic obviously works since I see the signs go back up every few weeks.

Put them in a uhaul and take them to the SFV. Rent a hotel for a week and film squirting scenes on them. Then sell them to pervs. They will pay whatever it takes to sleep on their favorite lady's body fluids every night, even if the shipping is 200 dollars.

a few creative ads on craigslist should get them sold. "hotel surplus", "model home furniture, need to sell", make some crazy shit up.

"Pimp needs to unload brand new mattresses. None of my hoe's n' bitches deserve them"

as said before ebay or craigslist.. craigslist = mother of all mattress sales...

don't know what it is but they sell like fing hot cakes.. my roommate sold two within about 20 minutes of posting them..

Ok thanks for the help guys. Craigslist auto poster + luxury hotel surplus ad should be a nice start.