Seeking opinion on engineering schematics

Sharksfan

May 28, 2009
WI
I have been quietly developing a product for the last year. The actual physical Proof of Concept has been done for a while - now it's been translated to engineering schematics in CAD/CAM.

If you want product details PM me and I'll hook you up if you're someone who's a known poster around here.

Anyway, the product itself is for the serious DIY BBQ enthusiast who has metal skills. This is something that is intended to be a premium product in it's market. However, all I intend to sell are the plans and not the finished product, for two reasons.

First, there are liability issues. Think "fire".

Second, my partner - who is really the brains behind the design has gotten promoted and has little time to work with this. Our original idea was to offer a) plans b) part kits and c) finished product.

I could take the plans to a metal working firm and get estimates for creating finished product as well - or I could just sell the plans.

Also, as it stands right now all we have are the plans. If you are into DIY stuff you know that frequently when you buy plans that is ALL you get. If you want the "how to build this thing" book it's usually twice the cost.

All that said: here are three questions.

1.) If you've ever worked in a similar product launch space please tell me your story. PM if you want, it's safe with me.

2.) Does anyone see a real downside with proceeding with selling just the plans? Understand that these are high-quality engineering schematics, not Xeroxed hand drawings.

for the love of god at least print out everything, date it all, get it notarized, and mail it to yourself and don't open it, put it in a safe deposit box. Save yourself from getting dicked in the future.

I've seen some products before that were popular that just simply consisted of the plans to build something.. one example that stands out in my memory was the "plans" to build something that lets you power your card with H20 or something.. so yeah, its possible.

for the love of god at least print out everything, date it all, get it notarized, and mail it to yourself and don't open it, put it in a safe deposit box. Save yourself from getting dicked in the future.

I am too lazy to look up the reference but pretty sure that "mail it to yourself" does not do anything to establish your legal patent priority.

File provisional patent - all you need is just enough invention disclosure to start the clock. Then you'll have one year to complete the full filing (claims) and revise it as needed. Beware though that you will have to file within a year after filing provisional or you do lose your patent rights.

If you have physical product with schematics, patent is a must or anyone can rip you off and make it.