Security Systems?

SkyFire

Claptrap Overlord
Nov 24, 2007
I need to upgrade the security system in and around our home. Right now I've cameras, but I'd like a really sick setup.

I can spend some serious cash for a proper setup. I prefer a not-monitored system, no ADT or any of that crap.

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, but it must have at the minimum wireless surveillance, door and window monitoring, etc. But an API and remote monitoring are pretty necessary as well.

This is way outside my sphere of knowledge, any of you guys know of a good system or integrateble system, or use something you'd recommend? Something with an API (but again, no monitoring service) would be fantastic.

-- edit --
We have a security concern that exists outside the norm, so finding a new system for the new house is pretty important.

As a commercial EC I am somewhat expert in the specification and design of systems such as these, but due to licensing and insurance regs I hire "Authorized Distributor" subs to do the actual certifications and check-outs- if you PM me your general location I can make some recos to pros in your area that you can consult with.

If you have a unique situation as you state you should not do this without competent local on-site counsel, and as a consumer you can't buy a pro-grade system "Off-The-Shelf" anyways- they are 100% sold through channels. ADT is one of the very few that you can buy off the street, and they're all pieces of shit.

Buuuut... the fact that you DON'T want it monitored is a clue as to why you haven't gotten quotes from the pros already...

amirite?

Why stop at security? Automate the entire house via API! Spread a few tablets around the house, and allow everyone to control all aspects from them -- security cameras, lights, doors, air conditioners, stereo, TV, sprinklers, etc.

Control4 Home Automation and Smart Home Control > Home

Control4 seems to be the popular, mid-range solution. I guess a standard system in a standard home is about $5k, start to finish. Add in some biometric door locks, and you're good to go.

If you have a unique situation as you state you should not do this without competent local on-site counsel, and as a consumer you can't buy a pro-grade system "Off-The-Shelf" anyways- they are 100% sold through channels. ADT is one of the very few that you can buy off the street, and they're all pieces of shit.

Relevant to my interests in next three months. Have any suggestions if I don't want a piece of shit but with a standard use case in mind (just want to keep scumbag criminals out, no problem with monitoring)?

More or less. I had both the local security places come out, and their offerings seemed weak, really all they had to offer were some cameras and door window stuff. Oh ya, one of them kept pushing a rent-a-goon. Fuck that, some dildo with a night stick and a tinfoil badge is all I need wondering around my property 4-8 times a day.

Why stop at security? Automate the entire house via API! Spread a few tablets around the house, and allow everyone to control all aspects from them -- security cameras, lights, doors, air conditioners, stereo, TV, sprinklers, etc.

Control4 Home Automation and Smart Home Control > Home

Control4 seems to be the popular, mid-range solution. I guess a standard system in a standard home is about $5k, start to finish. Add in some biometric door locks, and you're good to go.

That looks quite nice for home automation, the stuff they have listed on the security section is pretty "found in home depot" but maybe they offer higher end stuff as well? Thanks for the link!

ive been using a modified version of these type of things with .22 caliber and a warning message on loud speaker that if they get closer action is taken
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QcfZGDvHU8"]Fully Automated Paintball Sentry (video 17 of 18) - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byxpfHOX7r8"]Automatic turret defense system - YouTube[/ame]

Relevant to my interests in next three months. Have any suggestions if I don't want a piece of shit but with a standard use case in mind (just want to keep scumbag criminals out, no problem with monitoring)?

I'm a big Honewell fanboy for residential apps- their shit is top-notch for the price, and they have very strict standards when selecting their pro partners, so you usually get a decent price with great service- check it here: Find a dealer

If you want to go more high-end, get a commercial grade system, same link.

Reactions: justo_tx