ScrapeBox & Proxies

Surfer Dude

Feb 21, 2011
Just starting out with SB and have a question about proxies...

I want to check about 100 URLs at a time to see if they're alive or dead, if they're indexed, etc. I need to keep track of my articles, Web 2.0 posts, purchased links, etc.

I want to find relevant blogs to post comments to, but only like 50 at a time - no big scrapes and/or blasts.

My question is: since this seems like pretty light work for SB how many proxies do I need?

I was looking at anonymous-proxies.net and I can get 5 private proxies for $12.50 month so that seems like not too big of an investment while I learn the ropes and since I'm not doing massive scraping and commenting.

I tried the freebies but it's such a hassle and soooo time consuming.

So... for the relatively light workload I want to do is 5 proxies enough? Can I even get away with using less?

Thanks!

Hi surferdude,
As an alternative to what you're thinking about, given the small numbers you are talking about, if you only scrape using yahoo you can get away with no proxies. Uncheck the "use proxies" box and run. My understanding is that you can harvest a million urls per day with yahoo (so your 50 at a time shouldn't be too much of a problem).
Not sure what other add on you are planning on using. You can run the built in link checker without proxies also.
If you are planning on manually posting to those 50 sites, then you've saved yourself $12.50 a month.

Thanks for the feedback!

Good advice about using Yahoo to scrape - I'll give that a try.

As far as checking for dead links I was using the Alive Check add on and was having problems checking about 100 URLs. Once that started not working I could no longer check to see what URLs were indexed either.

Yep I usually scrape yahoo however I heard from a dubious source (That means don't trust it) that if you scrape constantly for over 12 hours you get banned. To be honest you don't really need more than a few proxies, you could always buy a VPS, set up squidcache and buy a few IP's.

Buying rather then scraping for free proxies is much more effective and definitely worth it!

Success rates improve by a mill!