Saving sensible data

Ibanez | Jan

Just posting .gifs
Dec 1, 2009
Yo.

Just wanted to know how you guys safe / backup your sensible data like account data, passwords, ftp logins, invoices and payment transactions (if you do your bookkeeping stuff digitaly).

I don't feel good puting all this stuff on Dropbox without any additional encryption but saving your backups on an external stick / hdd isn't good either. When some fags fuck up your house and steal your stuff, you're done. And if an F-18 crashes into your appartment your physical backups are gone too.

How do you handle this?

IDK man you make it sound like that your life would be over if you were to lose your computer in a highly unlikely accident. Regardless, I have all my important stuff backed up on an external and a laptop. You could go one step further than me and get a fireproof safe to store an external.

I recently changed from dropbox to egnye for more security. I needed something that was HIPPA compliant, and Egnyte is. I couldn't use dropbox for medical stuff, but found Egnyte. for $250/year I get 150gb of storage. Works pretty much like dropbox, but in addition to realtime syncing, you can map your drive as well.

I also have a 2TB NAS drive that backs my shit up, but that's stored in the house, so in case of a fire or a meteor falling on my house it wouldn't do much, but if I have a drive fail on one of my computers, it would definitely make life a little easier.

truecrypt it and/or use a service that has your security in mind such as wuala, spideroak, potentially bitcasa, titanfile, egnyte etc. actually i might not use truecrypt as the developers are kind of shady the last time i checked, but some kind of encryption non the less. realistally, you should probably have some storage that has never been connected to anything that has touched the internet for the super sensitive stuff.

the dropbox employees can actually just go and look at all your files so i really wouldn't put anything in your account that is even remotely sensitive.

1. Do you mean "Sensitive"?

2. I just outsource all that shit to some random Indians for $5 a month. They usually get it right. :thumbsup: