Russian Mob/Hackers Banking 8-Figs/Month?

TVensor

May 3, 2009
Asia
Saw a similar story here: Sucuri Security: SEO SPAM network - Details of the wp-includes infection

Search google for any type of prescription drug (ex. "buy propecia"). Interestingly enough 10-20% of the results are 13-year old PR5+ edu sites. They haven't completely defaced the site either, they only redirect traffic coming from google with a drug's brand name in the referral query.

Not surprisingly all of these sites have Russian registrars or nameservers.

The cumulative search volume for these terms is into the tens of millions. Estimating customer value based on PPC costs for these terms and assuming they are just shipping dyed sugar pills would easily put their net into high 7 figures per month.

It seems they have been banking on this method for at least a year now as well.

To say its the mafia banking off of this is sensationalist. Most times its just bored dudes in their basement with nice tech skills.

To say its the mafia banking off of this is sensationalist. Most times its just bored dudes in their basement with nice tech skills.

Maybe, but it's fairly common knowledge that anyone who is banking on their tech skills in Russia/Old Soviet Union area are tied to the Russian Mafia in some way. They probably make sure of it once you start to make some decent money.

It's hard not to get on someone's radar in this industry because someone has to step on someone's toes at some point.

That is FUCKING AWESOME!

Elegant in it's simplicity and effectiveness.

Obviously it's still spammy blackhat hackerish stuff, but that's a badass idea.

Maybe, but it's fairly common knowledge that anyone who is banking on their tech skills in Russia/Old Soviet Union area are tied to the Russian Mafia in some way. They probably make sure of it once you start to make some decent money. It's hard not to get on someone's radar in this industry because someone has to step on someone's toes at some point.
It might be common knowledge, but that doesn't make it true. The involvement of the mafia in EE cybercrime is overestimated and overglorified.

EgVlO.jpg

Yes, Russians are behind a lot of it. A friend for DOJ asked me on a fraud issue, "Russian, right?"

LOL it's not the mob but it is 100% Russians. Join any Russian forum with a webmaster section and you'll see people selling "edu shells" for $5 each. I wouldn't recommend it though, unless you like jail.

Maybe, but it's fairly common knowledge that anyone who is banking on their tech skills in Russia/Old Soviet Union area are tied to the Russian Mafia in some way. They probably make sure of it once you start to make some decent money.

It's hard not to get on someone's radar in this industry because someone has to step on someone's toes at some point.

hahahaha, no.

It might be common knowledge, but that doesn't make it true. The involvement of the mafia in EE cybercrime is overestimated and overglorified.

I probably should have been a bit more specific in "what kind" of Russian Mob I was talking about.

The Russian Business Network I'm sure does have ties to the mob; but more importantly, the RBN does have ties to all of those marketing online who make decent money. It's in their interests to do so.

I probably should have been a bit more specific in "what kind" of Russian Mob I was talking about.

The Russian Business Network I'm sure does have ties to the mob; but more importantly, the RBN does have ties to all of those marketing online who make decent money. It's in their interests to do so.

everyone in russia knows everyone.

don't be mad cuz you're from Georgia :xmas-smiley-016: